1989 Buick Riviera Reviews - Page 2 of 2

Model year1989
Year of manufacture1988
Engine and transmission 3.8 V6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Blazer

Summary:

The best car I could ever get for $1300

The transmission went at 105000 miles because the previous did not ever service it. I had plenty of time to know that it was going bad, but that was when it became undriveable. ($450 Junk yard transmission and labor)

I replaced the vinyl part of the roof ($150)

The throttle position sensor went bad ($30 new). I put that in myself.

Other than those things just maintenance items (spark plugs, spark plug wires, tires, etc)

General Comments:

It is simply the best car I have ever had. And this is coming from a USED CAR DEALER. I've many cars in the seven years that I've had a license, but this one is the best. I feel like I'm driving on a cloud when I drive it. It's not terribly fast, but I've managed to get a few speeding tickets in it. When I get on the highway I HAVE TO set the cruise control, otherwise I will end up going over 80 mph and not even know it. The Bose radio and touchscreen on board controls combine all of the controls into one 6 or 7 inch screen. It has most of the amenities of modern cars (power windows, sunroof, v-6, leather, etc) only a lot cheaper... and its not exactly a cop magnet ;)

Review Date: 17th March, 2006

19th Apr 2006, 00:10

Very cool! Now can you tell me how to get one for under $2K???

~Andrew

PumpkinSeed @ Juno.com.

5th Oct 2010, 13:13

I have the 89 Buick Rivieria Presidential. It is the best car I ever bought for 1,000. It rides awesome, has 248 thousand miles, but runs like a dream.

1989 Buick Riviera from North America

Year of manufacture1989
First year of ownership1989
Most recent year of ownership2001
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

10 of 10

Was given the car from my uncle understanding it need repair. It would rumble at 70 Kph, the 'sending unit' in the gas tank (the fragile tubing sending and receiving gas from the engine, not the pump) was leaking very lightly. Damaged when I changed the fuel filter, was not very careful with the tubing. The rumble due to the damaged engine computer (below glove box. Found at junk yard $50 ($500 new) and rad mechanic fixed tubing for $90 (new $300).

General Comments:

This car is the fully loaded highest model with a real touch screen controlling everything.

Review Date: 5th January, 2003