1996 Buick Roadmaster Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon 5.7 from North America

Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carChrysler Grand Voyager

Summary:

This is a comfortable car

The vehicle has a self leveling system which is a delight to drive. However, this leveling system "runs" every 10 to 12 minutes when the car is shut off and parked. The noise is quite annoying when camping. Any ideas what the problem is? Is it designed to run this way?

I needed to have the fuel pump replaced by a dealer last summer after a breakdown away from my garage.

General Comments:

This Buick Roadmaster Collectors Edition is very comfortable. The automatic leveling system does a great job of keeping the headlights aimed just right. I drive at night fairly often and do enjoy this feature. My wife likes it so much I am browsing for another. Mine is a white woody with cloth seats. I am going for the leather seats next time.

Review Date: 7th April, 2004

8th Apr 2004, 08:20

If gas prices keep ratcheting upward you should be able to find another Roadmaster available for pretty cheap.

And if the spectre of gas shortages/lines/rationing ever becomes raised, you won't be able to give them away!

27th Nov 2004, 03:38

Oh, boy! The Honda Accord gets about 28 mpg, I think I'll take the 25 mpg this car gets all day long!!! Don't worry about gas mielage with this car if you drive it decently. I'd rather pay a little extra for gas then get killed in some rice burner small car.

23rd Jun 2005, 14:38

You Have A AIR LEAK in the lines or the rear shocks. Most of the rime at the shock.

1996 Buick Roadmaster Limited V8 265 hp from North America

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission V8 265 hp Automatic
Previous carBuick LeSabre

Summary:

Very best auto I have ever owned

Had a few drops of fluid on garage floor under the rear axle gear box location--Auto has only 18380 miles on it--Dealer service dept said it needs new pinion seal and wheel speed sensor leaking---Est. cost $309 + tax--The fluid drops were about 6 weeks ago and haven't shown up again--My own opinion is service dept. is drumming up business.

General Comments:

I had always wanted to own a Roadmaster since I was a kid of 11 years old--that was in 1938--I have the Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 1996--It truly is a wonderful auto--I must have been a smart kid back then in 1938 to recognize good value--

Review Date: 7th September, 2003

28th Aug 2004, 06:23

The pinion seal leaking is a common problem with the differential in question. The repair cost seemed reasonable, and should have been done. When I first brought mine home (bought it used a month ago, drove it home from Texas to VA) I too noticed the differential leaking. Took it and had it fixed, read on other sites the seal used is only one sided. There are newer two sided seals available that will permenantly fix this problem.

It might behoove you to check the fluid level in the differential, since it has stopped dripping on the floor. Might be low, might be empty. If you are low, and you have a posi rear, you might damage that.

1996 Buick Roadmaster Limited Collector's Edition 5.7L LT1 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 5.7L LT1 Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Delta 88

Summary:

Pure sophistication with an LT1 V-8

Not a thing.

General Comments:

Man alive, talk about a serious set of wheels. This thing is the ultimate in luxury. I had an Olds 88 Royale Brougham before, which was a great car, but the Roadmaster Limited Collector's Edition just cannot be beat.

It came with the 260 hp LT1 350, and for being a massive automobile, it hustles right along. It can't quite beat my 442, but she'll smoke any import compact, and that's a fact.

As for comfort, it is second only to the Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance. It has all of the goodies right down to heated seats and dual climate control.

I find it sad that the EPA alone is forcing America out of it's full-size car niche because of poor fuel economy. Only Rolls Royce can build a luxury car better than the US automakers. Even Mercedes feel cheap and thin.

I would recommend this car to anyone, old or young. It's smooth, rather quick, luxurious to the max, and looks downright forboding in black.

Review Date: 7th December, 2002

12th Sep 2008, 09:19

I think that the Buick Roadmaster Collector's Edition is an awesome car. It is very elegant, and it can beat just about any other car on the road without sacrificing comfort.

9th Apr 2011, 15:07

Best car I've ever owned. I have only had to replace the water pump, which is typical for the LT-1. She ran a 15.9 in the 1/4 mile on street tires with the air on, LOL.

1996 Buick Roadmaster Limited 5.7L Corvette LT1 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 5.7L Corvette LT1 Automatic

Summary:

A powerful beast in disguise

Leakage from the air conditioning system.

Had to replace the starter once.

General Comments:

My 1996 Buick Roadmaster is my first car (I am 17), and it will continue to be my car for several years to come!

This car is simply amazing. The only way one can truly appreciate it is to get behind the wheel and drive it! Most of my friends drive sporty Japanese cars, which they believed were fast and powerful... until they were outgunned by my Roadmaster. The 260HP 5.7L Corvette V8 under the hood really makes this 2-ton beast move. I love watching the expressions on peoples' faces at stop lights when the light turns green and I step on the accelerator.

Backseat legroom is unusually small for a car of this size. The front passengers sit in pure comfort however, thanks to the power front seats and automatic climate control.

Review Date: 20th September, 2000

23rd Dec 2000, 04:12

I'm 17 and my grandparents picked up their brand new 1996 Buick Roadmaster 4 years ago. I still remember the first time we took it on the highway and my grandad floored it. Wow, what a surprise, it pushed me back in my seat like never before. What a great car. I still go over to their house sometimes just to drive it.