1991 Buick Skylark from North America

A very reliable, comfortable, and economical car to run

No major repairs.

General Comments:

I am impressed with the 4 cylinder (2.5 L) OHV engine. Performance is more than adequate. Gas mileage is fantastic (35-38 mpg) and reliability is (and has been) a dream.

NOTE: I have always changed the oil and filter every 4000 miles and maintained the car in keeping with the recommendations in the owner's manual.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2000

10th Mar 2001, 15:26

I think that the Buick Skylark is a great car to own. I got into an accident with an elk in it, and it kept on going. It is truly made to take a licking and just keeps on ticking.

1991 Buick Skylark Custom 2.5 L TBI OHV 4 CYL from North America

Needed new muffler, EGR valve failed, rough, incureable engine idle.

General Comments:

An OK car if you are desperate for a car. The 2.5 is the worst GM motor I've ever encountered. If you are looking at a Skylark, take a closer look at the Buick Regal, it is slightly larger, and a much better vehicle.

Review Date: 29th June, 1998

19th Mar 2001, 10:05

Just traded-in a 1991 3.3 ltr, 6 cyl. Skylark. Worst car I ever owned. Engine would just cut out and car would stop. Couldn't drive on a highway. GM couldn't figure it out. Suffered with this intermittent problem for the last 10 years. Couldn't afford to buy a new car. Virtually changed most parts, including computer. Never buy another Buick. Engine idle horrible.

8th Sep 2008, 15:03

I had a car that engine quit every time I stopped. After a few years and thousands of dollars at mechanic shops, the problem turned out to be loose connections in the wiring. After tightening all connections, didn't have the problem again. I also had the computer etc changed before discovering this minor fix.

18th Sep 2008, 12:40

I have the 1991 2.5L Skylark, and with a few upgrades it really isn't a bad car..

I put a cold air intake, headers, rebuilt cylinder head with racing cam, and an SLR performer chip in, letting me do 150 mph.. 1/4 mile time is 12.9 sec.. I don't know what everyone else is complaining about, your car just needs some loving..