1987 Cadillac Brougham 307 cu in from North America

Summary:

If you want a second, special occasion car, this vehicle serves beautifully

So far, I haven't had any problems with the car. It was meticulously maintained by the previous owner. The muffler has a small hole in it and needs to be replaced. I plan on doing that this spring.

General Comments:

I bought this car because of my love of large vintage Cadillacs from the 70's and 80's. It is extremely comfortable, and all the buttons and gizmos work as they should.

The ride quality is excellent... it floats down the road. The handling is also quite good for such a large car.

The steering is a bit mushy, and the small 307 motor, while a workhorse to be sure, is too small for the vehicle. However, you don't drive one of these for speed anyway.

I am thrilled to have found one in such wonderful original condition, and look forward to preserving her for the foreseeable future. I get admiring looks and comments everywhere I go.

My every day car is a 2013 Honda Civic LX, so I have the best of both worlds!

Review Date: 8th February, 2014

9th Feb 2014, 12:02

Man, I don't think I could go from the comfort of a full-size Caddy from the 80s to a compact Honda. Fuel economy is nice, but I'll take comfort over that any day of the week. I just choose to live close to my workplace, and then gasoline is not an issue.

14th Feb 2014, 15:53

I actually love my Honda. It isn't extremely small and it is full of luxury and technology items that make a very interesting ride. It is peppy and fast, and looks great, too. I just wish it was straight shift! Like I said, best of both worlds. Surrounded by cushy velour in the Cadillac, or sporty leather in the Civic, I am fully satisfied with both cars. I like the fact that they are so very different. I'm 6'4" and the Honda fits me fine :-)

1987 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 307 Olds from North America

Summary:

Nice

Well when I bought it, the headliner was gone.

Got to driving it, parked at the dollar store, and noticed a puddle. Turns out I blew a gas line; not too bad of a fix.

I thought owning a Caddy would break the bank on repairs, but they are pretty cheap to fix if it's engine components.

General Comments:

They are great driving cars; the Olds 307 makes it easy to repair.

Don't really like the vinyl top, but other than that, no complaints.

Review Date: 13th June, 2013

30th Jun 2013, 12:20

These are super cars, and in fact virtually all the mechanical parts are from Oldsmobile or other General Motors divisions - very little is specifically Cadillac. Parts are dirt cheap, and they're easy to keep running nearly indefinitely with a little basic care. Interior bits and bobs, and some parts of the body/bumpers and stuff, are not so easy to find or replace though.

1987 Cadillac Brougham 6 door Limo 5.0 liter V8 from North America

Summary:

Not many of these on the road today

At 77k miles, the A/C compressor seized.

Power steering pump squeal at start up.

Resonator pipe after the muffler had many holes, and the hot exhaust heated up the trunk and melted friend's luggage on the way to Reno Nevada. It was an easy fix at the muffler shop for $45.

General Comments:

Very smooth.

Very comfortable.

Very reliable so far.

Very quiet for 1987.

Engine and transmission are still smooth.

The 307 cubic inch, V8, 5.0 liter is a little underpowered for the limo.

Review Date: 26th July, 2011

1987 Cadillac Brougham 5.0L gasoline from Germany

Summary:

Great feel and good looks

Transmission was replaced after 100.000 km.

Torque converter clutch solenoid was sticking after 200.000 km.

Catalytic converter heat shield did not shield, and caused the transmission oil pan to leak; the cat is too close to the transmission case.

Gas tank was leaking due to rust after 190.000 km, and had to be replaced.

Intake manifold gasket was leaking and had to be replaced at 190.000 km.

General Comments:

The car is very reliable.

Starts easy, even in the cold. Car sits outside for its whole lifetime because it is too big for German garages.

I would not like to get rid of this car, it has a very nice feel driving it and is very comfortable for long rides.

It is great if you like old-style car design.

Never had a problem parking it, the steering is very easy.

Review Date: 22nd May, 2009

22nd May 2009, 17:15

That's not bad for a car with 170,000+ miles on it. My grandfather's 85 Fleetwood Brougham went 350,000 miles or so when he sold it to my neighbor who then drove it for another 100000 or so before they moved. These old cars were built to last back then. My grandad had a few problems with it, I don't recall all of them because I was young when he owned it, not thing major I think. All I knew of cars was vroom-vroom!! Ironically I'm an auto Technician for random Korean automaker # 3 (the one with the crooked H logo) now.