1970 Cadillac DeVille Coupe 472cid 7.7 Litre V8 from North America

Summary:

Great Cadillac ride and design: A-

To imply that things have "gone wrong" with this car isn't fair. This Cadillac was all original except the water pump and battery, so I'd say nothing went wrong, the parts just wore out.

In the year I've had the Coupe DeVille I have replaced the original Rochester carb with a rebuilt one twice, as the first was junk, but the second has worked well. In addition to that, I replaced all vacuum lines leading to a from the Carburetor. (runs and idles much better)

Last week I replaced both rear wheel cylinders, master cylinder/brake booster, and a crushed rear brake line (a la exhaust pipe touching it)

I've replaced the radio with a new unit that is made to fit into the dash with no cutting or modifications needed. I replaced the original 10ohm speakers with new 8ohm speakers that fit right in. (no modifications needed)

Please keep in mind that all this stuff was original so I don't consider these things as "gone wrong" just wore out.

General Comments:

This car has been fun, and it always turns a head where ever it goes.

This year Cadillac is a left over design from the 60's. This is a good thing, because the 70's were not kind to engine power and performance, (EPA smog control) so this model year will deliver in performance if needed.

A very comfortable and quite ride. Amazingly for this cars age it does not squeak or rattle while driving down the road at any speed.

The dash layout is not so great.. The radio and a/c controls are hard to see, as the steering wheel hides the display and levers. The right control knob for the radio is hard to use as the dash wraparound wall in very close to it, and the clock is completely hidden from passenger view. Minor, but thought I'd mention it.

137,000 miles, 40 years old and still running strong.

Review Date: 18th April, 2008

1970 Cadillac DeVille Coupe 472 c.i. from North America

Summary:

Badass

Before I can tell you that, here is some background. I was 19 and I bought this car on eBay. The guy was a jerk, and I was a naive kid. I probably should have walked away.

He was honest about the body being straight and the drivetrain being good.

The cooling system immediately went to hell. I ended up pulling oiut the thermostat just so I could make it home.

I replaced the radiator and bypassed the heater core. To this day the car has no heat. It is currently overheating again. I think it is time for a waterpump. Damn Vegas dust.

The interior is totally shot.

The window motors are tired. They go up and down, but only certain switches work.

One window is off it's track.

Weather stripping is gone.

Rust in the quarters, around the windows and anywhere in the corners where moisture was trapped.

But these are all things you can expect buying a 40 year old car that didn't have the best care.

The one thing I will tell people who want an old caddy to look out for that no one else is mentioning is steering column problems. Mine is a nightmare.

Everything is grounded to everything.

I hit the brakes and the hazard lights come on. I don't pull the fuse because otherwise I have no brake lights, so it's the only way it will appear to have brake lights, so when I hit the brakes, my parking lights come on too...

Get it?

My windsheild wipers come on when I slam the door.

Sometimes the ignition switch gets randy and my starter will stay on.

Broken 3 starters this way.

Alternator went bad. 30 dollars for a new one. =)

General Comments:

Easy to work on.

Avoid it if any of the electricals aren't working.

The only problem with mine was no hazard lights at first. It escalated into needed ing a column rebuild which was done completely wrong and resulted in worse problems.

So basically only buy a car without perfect electrical if you have the cash or knowledge to fix it. Caddy steering columns are COMPLICATED.

I may try to take it on now that I have more experience.

At 2150 dollars, I paid too much. But I was 19. It was a learning experience.

That said, I love this car and how it feels driving down the highway.

Review Date: 14th May, 2007

15th May 2007, 23:10

Hmm my first car was a 1988 Lincoln Town Car I loved that body style so that's what I was shooting for, that car had 210,000 miles on it when I bought it for $1700 a lot of little things broke in the engine which was annoying, but it was a learning process, I've had two more of these now upgraded to a 2000 Grand Marquis, these cars are unmatched.