1970 Cadillac Eldorado Reviews

1970 Cadillac Eldorado 8.2L 500 V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1970
Engine and transmission 8.2L 500 V8 Automatic
Previous carCadillac Seville

Summary:

Old school at its best!

I purchased this vehicle for the sake of restoration. It was clear to me that the car had sat for some time. Many of the repairs are typical of a vehicle that has sat for some time.

I replaced the brakes all around including master cylinder, new tires, brand new dual exhaust, new battery, new upper radiator hose, new fuel line, plus a few quirky electrical problems including the clock not working.

There is some surface rust, which means the car will eventually need to be painted. I also will soon need a starter motor. But really all these things are typical for an older vehicle.

General Comments:

I love this car. Period. It drives down the highway like a brand new car! The ride is great; it feels like you are on a cloud.

I was lucky with this one; the vinyl top is in great condition as is the interior. The front bench seat is very comfortable and supports you well as you navigate this colossal beast through town.

What a head turner. This car will stop traffic, and that’s with needing a paint job!

This Eldorado is a very special last year body style. It features the largest production V8 ever put into an automobile, an 8.2L or 500 cubic inch V8, pushing 400hp and 550lbs of torque. That’s more horsepower and torque than many of the muscle cars from this era and it sounds mean. This was built when Detroit could produce a great machine and when Cadillac was “Standard of the world”. The way this car runs and drives is proof that America is capable of leading the world in automobile technology. I can’t wait until I finish this project and am capable of enjoying it at its full luster!

Review Date: 2nd August, 2009

1970 Cadillac Eldorado 500 V8 8.2 litre from North America

Model year1970
Year of manufacture1969
First year of ownership1970
Engine and transmission 500 V8 8.2 litre Automatic
Most recent distance197437 miles
Previous carCadillac Fleetwood

Summary:

What a personal luxury car should be

To date, some 34 years after owning this truly wonderful car, it has only needed just regular service.

The valve cover gaskets started to leak about four years ago, and that was an easy, and cheap fix.

I think the water pump went bad at one time many, many years ago, when the car was still fairly new.

General Comments:

This cars power is very, very impressive!!! A Corvette is quicker off the line, but the Corvette won't lose the Eldorado. 34 years later, this huge, powerful car still gets very respectable gas mileage, around 17 in the city and about 19-21 on the open road. I have never owned a more reliable, and well built car. My car still has a shiny, glossy paint job, which is original. The inside of the car looks new, very little wear, on a 34 year old car with almost 200,000 miles on it.

I have owned many cars since 1970,but this is the only one I have kept. In 1970 Cadillac was the "Standard of the World",I find it sad they cannot make that claim now.

This car, in my opinion, handles quite well, even by todays standards.

Review Date: 15th October, 2004

4th Nov 2004, 07:53

What is the size of the gas tank on one of these cars.

1st Feb 2005, 21:25

Its like 25 gallons probably, but that's foolish to say your car gets 17mpg in the city.

4th Apr 2005, 07:10

The gas tank is about 80 litres in metric terms - which costs about $90 AUST to fill. You don't get anywhere near 17 MPG in the city or even on the highway. 472 Cubic Inch Displacement - Come on... be fare... I get about 13MPG if I'm lucky. But nobody buys a cadillac or fuel economy. Given the immense power (some 375 BHP) and with a car weighing over 2.5 tonne this is more than reasonable. I drive my 1969 Cadillac Eldo daily and wouldn't have it any other way.