1988 Cadillac Eldorado Reviews

1988 Cadillac Eldorado 4.5L from North America

Engine and transmission 4.5L Automatic
Previous carFord Thunderbird

Summary:

It's my dream car, get your own..

BCM and air conditioner problem and radiator replacement for this Florida car.

Otherwise my 1988 Eldorado is in near mint condition.

I would rate it 9 on scale of 10.

I am second owner of this Fire Mist painted (Rosewood) with matching interior without a padded leather roof that was probably "Grand Mother's" personal ride to the country clubs in Mt Dora Florida area.

My former car was a 1966 white Thunderbird.

General Comments:

My 1988 Eldorado with 4.5L engine and 4 wheel disc brakes will keep up with most vehicles, and stop quickly.

I also get nice comments at car show for the appearance.

Review Date: 18th November, 2010

1988 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe 4.5 from North America

First year of ownership2010
Previous carSubaru Legacy

Summary:

It's a brand new 1988 car in 2010

So far the only thing we've found is the lower ball joints and the left drive axle need to be replacing.

General Comments:

My 18 year old son just moved in with me and has always wanted a Cadillac. Still not having his driver's license (thanks to his mother), that was first on his want list, and then a car.

On our way home last Saturday after grocery shopping, we passed by the local sell it yourself car lot. We spot a Caddie and stop. There sat a 1988 Eldorado. Asking price is $6,500 OBO. After calling the owner, test driving it, I did a Carfax and had the local dealership do an inspection.

It needed ball joints and the left drive axle replaced. The amazing part of this story is the car has only 40,000 miles on it and it's beautiful. White with a black cabaret top and black leather interior.

It's his first car and his dream, so he bought it for $5800. Next on the list is his license so he can drive it.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2010

1988 Cadillac Eldorado 4.5L V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.5L V8 Automatic
Previous carCadillac Eldorado

Summary:

A gem for anyone who loves cars!!

Driver's Information Center had a digital short - $132.00.

Front left axle - $500.00.

General Comments:

I saw this car on the side of the road last year. When I was growing up, my grandmother had a 1988 DeVille, but blew the head gaskets and never drove it again. I still have the car, but because of rotting from just sitting, there is no hope. I kept looking around for another 1988, but never had much luck. I was on my way to work and saw my Eldo on the side of the road with a For Sale sign on it. I pulled over, looked at it and knew it was mine. I bought the car from a man who was 87 and only drove the car 2 months out of the year because he lived in Florida and the car was in CT. It was in great shape and I got it for $1,200. It is red with a white leather interior, gold emblems, and even the original car phone! The dash was dead when I bought it so I repaired it for a small cost and never have had any major problems with it.

This car is so great that I am going to purchase another Cadillac to replace my daily car, which just died. This car is phenomenal!!!

Review Date: 29th March, 2009

1988 Cadillac Eldorado 4.5L from North America

Year of manufacture1987
First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 4.5L Automatic
Previous carCadillac Eldorado

Summary:

It's the most under-rated Caddy for its time

- The head gasket blew just before I bought it. I was told it was the original engine and it had no measurable ring wear when I replaced the head gaskets. (blown due to frozen SMOG pump)

- I replaced a water pump at 300,000 miles.

- I replaced the cooling fan module at 310,000 miles.

- Cruise control module on engine was replaced twice.

- Level ride control filter is partially clogged, so it takes a while to raise the rear end when a trailer is added - I put spacers in the rear leaf springs to reduce the air pressure needed. The pump air filter is in a difficult area to get to.

General Comments:

- This car runs like new and still uses no oil between oil changes.

- It's faster than my 92 Eldo and gets 27 MPG with regular unleaded!

- The interior is more comfortable than my 05 CTS.

- Instruments light up like a Christmas tree - gives the feel of being in a jet fighter.

- It's a great second car, but doesn't like to sit around too long (6 months) or it eats the battery. I must drive it more.

Review Date: 16th December, 2008