1991 Cadillac Eldorado Reviews

1991 Cadillac Eldorado 4.9 Liter V8 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 4.9 Liter V8 Automatic

Summary:

Perfect car

Power antenna.

Tires.

General Comments:

This is the best car ever.

I have had the car for a long time, and I have replaced only the power antenna and 4 new tires.

It was a Florida car, and had never seen winter until 2006 when I bought it. I kept it out of the salt, and it stays in the warm garage all year, and since April of 2009, it has been sitting in the garage, but I hope to start driving it again in the spring of 2011. I quit driving it because of having to take care of ill family members, so I didn't have time to mess with the car.

This Cadillac gets good gas mileage, and it is very reliable and will start in the garage after 3 months of sitting, even without the battery being charged. Repairs for these cars are very expensive, but like I said, they are very reliable and ride excellent.

Review Date: 27th January, 2011

1991 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe 4.9 liter from North America

Engine and transmission 4.9 liter Automatic
Previous carCadillac Eldorado

Summary:

This is the greatest car I've ever owned

Not much has gone wrong with my Eldorado. I purchased the car from an old lady in 2006.

I recently put on electronic struts, which cost $1600 for the whole car.

Last month I put on all new belts, an alternator, and a battery.

Last year I put a new radiator in it.

Most of the parts I put on it weren't even needed, but I like to keep my Eldorado in excellent condition.

General Comments:

This car is very easy to drive and it is a very comfortable ride. The seats are so comfortable and in good shape. I had the headliner replaced and the armrest.

This car is in very good shape for being as old as it is. My car has never seen winter.

I would recommend this car to anyone!

Review Date: 8th April, 2009

1991 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 4.9 V8 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 4.9 V8 Automatic
Previous carVolvo 760

Summary:

Excellent style and substance, but plagued by problems later in life

Transmission went out @ 94K miles.

Air Conditioner leak, never corrected.

Air conditioner sensor fault.

EGR valve had to be replaced.

Speed sensor fault.

Flimsy plastic vents for Air conditioner broke.

Drivers and passengers power lumbar valve went out and could not be replaced due to discontinued replacement parts at dealer.

Trunk lock had to be replaced due to sensor fault for factory theft deterrent system.

Automatic trunk pull-down went out.

Drivers door switch for "door ajar" sensor broke.

Passengers front wheel "hub" had to be replaced.

Early morning "knocking" heard from engine and when car was used in the summer. Cadillac deemed this as "normal" no fix offered.

Headlamp switch had to be replaced due to "flickering" instrument panel lights.

Paints clear-coat started to fail and had to have mirrors and bumpers repainted. Severe failure on roof and trunk pushed for sale of the car. As a true to original re-paint would have cost more than car was worth.

Side Biarritz "opera lights" both went out.

Speakers went out and tape-deck stopped working.

General Comments:

I loved this car!

Handled very well for size and weight.

Engine was very powerful and efficient.

Very comfortable for 4 people and quiet from road noise.

With all I replaced on this car I still hated to let it go.

Very attractive body style and appointments.

Use of some cheap materials inside were not enough to push me away.

Climate control was never enough to fully cool the car in heat over 100 degrees F.

Excellent braking and secure feel to car.

Sound system was magnificent before it exceeded its age limits.

Review Date: 13th September, 2005

22nd Jun 2007, 11:12

Great review! I too have had many of the same problems with my 1991 Cadillac Deville and since they share the same 4.9L V-8 I wanted to check your comments. So glad to read that my car was not the only that did not age with grace. Still, it is a great body style on the Eldorado and Coupe DeVille.

14th Oct 2007, 19:24

For the guy who wants to reset his "OIl Data"..

You push Ddta and range buttons at the same time for 5 seconds, and this resets it.

I bought a "Very Nice 1991 Barritz" with 70,000 miles on it.

Garaged and well cared for vehicle.

Would crank, but not start.. Distributor has a module which can go out. Usually, won't start when HOT, will when cool.

Also dist. has a small module in the shaft of dist. Both expensive from dealer. Best to just buy a exchange dist. from an Auto Parts store and install.. $125. 1 module alone is $165.

27th Nov 2011, 14:21

Hello there, I am glad you liked my post. As I mentioned in the review, I hated to part with my Biarritz, so I kept looking for a replacement. I ended up buying a 1991 Coupe DeVille "Spring Edition", because I love the body style and it was priced to fit my budget. Everything mechanical and accessory on the car functions as it should after a few minor repairs and tweaks. I saved a lot of money on parts by searching in a few salvage yards and on-line. All the car needs now is the headliner fabric (sagging from age) and the driver's leather seat is beginning to separate at the seams from wear. Other than those issues, it's sound inside and out, and still looks classic.