1983 Cadillac Eldorado from North America - Comments

31st Oct 2010, 16:45

Yes, I've just purchased a 1982 Cadillac Fleetwood with the 4100 in it. I just gave it a oil change and I checked the oil; it seems to have water in it, is it the head gasket or intake gasket? Should I fix it, or is their a product out there that will seal it?

Thanks.

1st Nov 2010, 01:24

I had a 4100 in my '86 Deville, and never had any problems with it until about 125,000 miles, when it did overheat. Wasn't destroyed though, but I sold it quickly for $600, fearing the worst.

Couldn't one swap out the 4100 in the early 1980s Eldorado or Seville for the Oldsmobile 307, which was found in Oldsmobile Toronados and Buick Rivieras of the same platform? That's a reliable, durable motor.

21st Nov 2010, 14:27

My first car was a 1984 Eldorado, sand grey with dark brown leather and top in 1990. I fell in love with that car the first moment I laid eyes on it. My parents bought it for my 16th birthday. I took great care of the car, and had it until 94. That car would go in the shop one week with a bill of $1000, and back in the next week with a bill of $1500. That 4100 was awful. Replaced the water pump I don't know how many times. The night we brought it home, the trunk bar broke under the back window, the car overheated and a couple other things. It was one of the best bodies Caddy ever made. The engine was replaced with a new one in 1992, and it was awful also. I still love that car even to this day. I would love to find it.

21st Nov 2010, 14:31

Continued:

My second Cadillac was an 81 Eldorado, got it in Winter Haven from an estate sale, it was a diesel. Couldn't get it started on a regular basis. I replaced it with a late 70's Delta 88 307? I think. Ran great. The guy who changed it didn't replace the O rings and that was another $400. But, the car was in mint condition as far as int/ext. I did have to replace the rubber with the newer fiberglass. But this was the long way around to answer... Yes, you can replace the bad engines of the early 80's Eldogs with a great Olds V8.

27th Jan 2012, 19:34

I had a 1984 HT4100 Cadillac Eldorado for 14 years. It had so many bells and whistles, and power everything. Interestingly, none of the bells, whistles, or power anything ever worked. I was in love with the styling, and expected a good cry when I parted with the 125 hp, two and a half ton slug of a lemon.

I was surprised when I did not cry at all when I parted with it; I simply added up all the service bills and cried at $14,000 dollars I had spent on a car that never worked!

12th Jun 2012, 00:02

This review sounds like I wrote it, but didn't. I had the same exact problems with my 82.

17th Dec 2012, 00:32

I purchased a 1996 Cadillac Eldorado 2 years ago. It passed smog with flying colors. Had 3 previous owners. 2 were related, so more like 2 previous owners. Older folks up the hills of the Pondarosa, Ca.

Soon the gas was leaking out. The antifreeze had a loose area somewhere. One day after work, it just didn't turn or fire up. After letting it sit and attempting to accumulate money, I had a friend install a new part, as I'd read previously about gas getting into the oil. Eventually in getting it running, the starter CRACKED. Replaced it. Did a tune up. Drove back and forth for a few months until the cold night of Thanksgiving. The defroster just didn't seem to want to function or heat. It began to tell me the engine was overheating. I had checked fluids almost every day, except on this occasion it had been ONE WEEK. Needless to say, it overheated big time. Needs a heater core, re-routed some lines, but it just drops water back on the ground. For a while it was just being flooded inside on the passenger side.

I purchased vehicle at the current Blue Book; it was 3,200. I have it on Craigslist for 1,000 and everyone wants to slash the price.

Now I'm looking at a 1983 Cadillac Biarritz with low miles on a fairly new engine of 30 thousand, and a good smog history. Family owned (Grandma/Grampa - son selling it for them now)... Am I just setting myself up for another fall or what? Please email zeeayseekay@aol.com.

Add another comment