1995 Chevrolet Astro Reviews - Page 2 of 4

Year of manufacture1994
First year of ownership1994
Engine and transmission vortex Automatic
Previous carFord Aerostar

Summary:

A great vehicle too bad its been discontinued!

Fuel pumps were the biggest problem the fuel pump was replaced 5 times in almost 10 years under dealership two times at their cost. Sliding door rattled fixed once at dealership at their cost. Motor started having problems when we sold it valve possibly bad.

General Comments:

We loved this van and was sad to have to sell it! Due to illness we sold it could not afford to have it fixed at the time.

We were ready to go shopping for a new one this month and was so sad that our dear friend is no longer made!

How sad so off we went to find a used one found one and it was just like home... Can't wait to bring it home...

Loved the Dutch doors they were great.

Cup holders were small, but noticed that they were changed on this new used one.

Review Date: 26th July, 2005

1995 Chevrolet Astro CS 4.3 V6 from North America

Model year1995
First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 4.3 V6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet C1500

Summary:

A super reliable family work-horse

Replaced Fuel Pump at 110,000 K's.

General Comments:

The Astro, while a homely looking vehicle, is a solid, reliable Family work-horse. Not once has it let us down or stranded us. It is used daily to ferry kids to various activities and on weekends we haul our boat or RV. Very few family mini vans have the power or bulk to tow anything of and size. The Astro does it with ease will little penalty at the fuel pumps.

Not the best handling, economical or comfortable van on the road, but certainly the toughest.

Review Date: 27th February, 2005

1995 Chevrolet Astro CS 4.3 from North America

First year of ownership1995
Previous carChrysler Voyager

Summary:

A good product for the money

At 4500 miles my wipers went out.

At 6000 miles my first EGR valve went bad, it cost us $400.00 to replace it. AT 8000 miles the second one went bad, I learned how to replace it the second time. I saved money, but spent quite a bit of time doing it.

At 110,000 miles I replaced the entire front end, ball joints, idler arm, tie rods, etc.

My electronic lock on the sliding door stopped working at around 500 miles.

The electric lock on the rear door stopper working at around 144,000 miles.

General Comments:

With all I have read on this site and all that I have been through with my own GM mini-van, I have to admit that this was on of the better vehicles I have owned. When I sold this car at 147,000 miles it still ran and looked great.

I would not have sold this car, but my employment required a newer vehicle.

Since I do all of my own work on my vehicles I guess I am not as annoyed as some of the people on here.

I do see where your concerns are valid and discouragement comes from.

Review Date: 30th July, 2004

1995 Chevrolet Astro LT 4.3 litre High Output from North America

Engine and transmission 4.3 litre High Output Automatic
Previous carDodge Caravan

Summary:

I am very happy, great van for the intermediate size needs

The first major repair was the idler arms. They were past safety specification when I purchased the van. 3 alternators later I have one that has lasted. The fuel pump went out at 160,000. I have replaced spark plug wires twice. The rear heat and air have worked 2 days. Rear brake shoe broke. The alternator bracket broke, leaving me with no power steering or brakes in a steep curvy hill. The dutch door remote opener broke the rod that secures it closed. The sensitive remote for the dutch door is REALLY annoying, you have to stop get out and close the door if you accidentally hit it while searching for your keys.

General Comments:

I chose this van after doing much research for my needs. Even after all the maintenance headaches, I still would purchase one again. The van is unique for it's size, wheel well openings (allows you to run something than highway tires) and the AWD works well and drives right through snow and muddy gravel roads. It's rather doggy if you need a quicker acceleration, but overall handling is very nice. For highway driving, there is none better. Comfort is great for rear seat passingers. Seat removal is cumbersome, the seats are unreasonably heavy to be convenient, it's a two person job and they better be weight lifters.

If you are looking for good mileage, pass on the Astro AWD.

Review Date: 18th January, 2004