1979 Chevrolet Blazer Custom Deluxe 305 5.0 from North America

Summary:

Built like a rock

Interior was shot.

Engine needed major help.

Needed body work and paint.

Rust in the floor pan and some on the body.

New shocks and springs.

Engine belts and hoses were shredded/torn.

A couple of more small details.

General Comments:

What can I say? The truck is a tank on wheels. Bought the car maybe 7 years ago, just to have, and recently started a full restoration.

Practically rebuilt the engine with a new blower, spark plugs, fuel lines, oil and brake lines, plus belts and hoses

Tore out all carpet in the interior, and went ahead and did a roll on bed liner on the floor and painted the inside, top and sides, rebuilt the steering column and painted the dashboard.

Has 18" cherry bomb glass packs with 21" tips with a 4 1/2 outlet. The truck sounds great.

Fresh paint that's charcoal grey with metal flake, plus body work and a small 3" body lift.

Hoping to swap the factory manifolds with hooker long tube headers, and run true dual 18 glass packs or maybe header mufflers.

Has a 3" body lift, which was ordered off LMC Truck, but hoping for a 6" rough country suspension lift.

Have to say it's a great first car for a 16 year old.

Review Date: 1st October, 2013

1979 Chevrolet Blazer Cheyenne K5 5.0 (305) from Guatemala

Summary:

A true rock hopper

Nothing

General Comments:

First saw it 3 years ago and fell in love with it. I finally saw it again this year and bought it without hesitation.

The vehicle is solid, like a rock. It is running on 35" in the rear and 33" in front. I love the tilt steering.

Interior is ample, enough for my wife, our kid and myself. With current fuel prices, I guess I am just lucky I bought it with LPG system.

It is like a monster on the road, and most vehicles will just stop for you when you steer in traffic jams, to allow you to shift lanes.

I LOVE IT.

Review Date: 30th September, 2013

1979 Chevrolet Blazer K5 350 from North America

I bought the truck, and the motor went out on it a week later.

The truck needs the inside redone bad.

General Comments:

I bought this truck two years ago. I have put a new motor in it. I have fixed so much on the truck.

I have put an 8 inch lift on 35 inch tires.

The gas goes fast, but the truck has a lot of power.

That truck has made it through everything like nothing.

It is a truck worth buying.

Review Date: 24th January, 2010

1979 Chevrolet Blazer K5 from North America

Summary:

Excellent Vehicle--Cheap and Reliable

The original ball joints finally started going bad around 190,000 miles which, IMHO isn't bad! The ball joints were replaced by myself. I replaced the inner and outer wheel bearings along with the hubs just so everything in the front end was fresh. Total cost for this was $325...try doing this on a newer vehicle--it would probably run at least $500.

The heater blower motor bearings started making a horrid noise--the blower motor was easily replaced in about 20 minutes. This was around $30.

The alternator went out and had to be replaced, but this was only about $30. Cheap!!

It eats gas if you drive it hard.

These have been the only "real" problems I've had with it and for the age and mileage, it's to be expected.

General Comments:

I really liked this Blazer... the reason I say "liked" is because it's now seriously damaged due to hitting a cow a few nights ago.

The cow didn't fare so well, but myself and the passenger with me escaped unharmed. I even drove it home that night. There is no way I could have done this with my 2002 F-150--it wouldn't have been driveable.

The insurance company will probably total the Blazer as estimates are $3500 to fix it. It's been a great rig... tows my boat well, drives like a champ on snowy/icy roads, turns on a dime and has never left me stranded out in the boonies.

I wouldn't hesitate to drive across the country entirely off-road in the Blazer as it's darn reliable.

I'm in the process now of looking for another one just in case this one is a total.

Review Date: 12th September, 2005