1979 Chevrolet Blazer Reviews - Page 2 of 2

Model year1979
Engine and transmission 350 cu. in. Automatic
Most recent distance200000 miles
Previous carChevrolet C10

Summary:

If you are willing, this is a truck that can last another 25 years

At 190,000, motor was finally done. Replaced with rebuilt block and cleaned intake, exhaust, and such.

The transmission was all original and gave out at 193,000. Survived higher hp, performance of new block for 3000 miles.

Complete rebuild of front end, bushings, bearings, ball-joints, and tie-rods/steering linkage at same time as motor. Everything was original.

General Comments:

This is a 79 1/2 Blazer and was built with 78 and 79 parts under 1980 body. It has been difficult to "re-match" the original parts, but NAPA and others have many OE parts in warehouses across the country.

All things being said, the truck has held up much better than any manufacturer has ever claimed. 189k miles for a motor/transmission that really was not taken care of prior to my purchase is more than one would normally expect. This was also wearing 38s when I purchased, now 32.5s.

I have rebuilt and replaced, restored and repaired nearly to new for less than $5,000.00.

I would suggest this type of vehicle for anyone who is thinking about restoration for standard or off-road use. I have done and continue to finish the body work and it has been very easy to find replacement and repair parts for the work.

Proper distributor, coil, plugs, and exhaust set-up can bring you 32-38mpg on the highway, and this is something that new SUVs are incapable of. It also adds the alternative HP for off-road or utility use (less mpg of course).

Review Date: 18th January, 2005

19th Jan 2005, 15:16

I agree that this is a great truck, but I am afraid I do not believe that it gets the MPG you state, or even close. Something is off in your calculations. Good luck with your project.

2nd Nov 2006, 11:54

38 mpg I don't think so what does it have for a motor a geo motor.

5th Apr 2008, 12:27

I agree, my 79 has 320,000++ miles on it and the best it's ever done on the road is 14+ mpg with factory 3.73 gearing dual exhaust and a fresh tune up.

350 Chevy engines with Turbo 350 trannies in 5,300 Lb trucks do not get 30+ mpg. Someone is pulling a leg here. LOL.

6th Apr 2008, 11:26

If you divide by 2, those stated mpg numbers would be in the ballpark.

11th Apr 2008, 21:52

Or maybe he was going 40 on the freeway downhill?

11th Apr 2008, 21:53

I did have a 1975 Impala 350 2bbl carb, 3:7 gears that got 21 on the freeway at 70 mph.

10th Nov 2008, 14:48

He he.

My 92 gets about 15 city and 17 hwy... possibly a little better, but not on average all the time.

1979 Chevrolet Blazer K5 305 from North America

Engine and transmission 305 Automatic
Previous carPorsche 944

Summary:

Truly Like a Rock, a Great truck

When I purchased this K5 for almost nothing, it needed a carburetor and tune-up. I spent about $1000.00 on parts that I installed myself. Instead of spending $400.00 on the rebuilt 300 cfm OEM unit, I installed an Edelbrock 500 cfm unit for about half the price. the results were more power and reliability. I use the truck as a daily driver and for snow plowing. It has full time 4 wheel drive, a small amount of rust, and will go just about anywhere. The A/C still works and the track starts up in sub-zero temperatures. The trick to any car is to buy the highest cold cranking amp battery you can find.

General Comments:

If you can find one with a solid body, these trucks are great. The repairs will always be cheap and they run like clocks. I recommend 1990-1991 K5 Blazers because the bodies are galvanized which means that the will almost never rust. They really are Like a Rock.

Review Date: 11th January, 2004