1988 Chevrolet C1500 Reviews

Model year1988
Year of manufacture1988
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 5.0L V8 Automatic

Summary:

The perfect truck

Rear brake wheel cylinders developed leaks, replaced at 80,000 miles. New cylinders were cheap. Why would anyone rebuild them!

Engine computer coolant temperature sensor in intake manifold replaced at 90,000 miles. Cheap easy fix.

Rear tail light assemblies became intermittent in operation, replaced both at 90,000 miles. Chronic problem on this generation of Chevy trucks.

Radiator developed a leak. Replaced at 95,000 miles. Very easy to replace.

EGR valve leaking, replaced at 100,000 miles. Determined after check engine light came on and pulled flashing light codes. Diaphragm had a leak.

Headliner material is loose. Need to replace. Easy on this truck compared to a car.

General Comments:

What a great truck. It has been very reliable. Ours has low miles because it lived on a Tennessee farm almost its whole life. The truck is rust free.

I chose the 1988 model year of this truck as it was the first year of the new redesign. This means that the gas tank was inboard of the frame. Previous years had a dangerous design called "side saddle" gas tanks where the tanks were mounted outside of the frame rails. This left them exposed to being hit in a side collision.

The 1988 model year also was the last year for the very reliable 3-speed automatic transmission. After 1988, GM installed a new 4-speed electronic transmission that was prone to electrical problems. Also, the 5.0L V-8 also used a throttle body injection system. While not quite as fuel efficient as multi-point injection that came later, it is a much simpler and cheaper system.

Gas mileage for this truck is not great. I get 16 MPG on the highway and slightly less around town.

Extremely cheap truck to own. Insurance is cheap, parts are cheap, easy to work on. Since we only use the truck locally, and it is not driven more than 5000 miles per year, gas mileage is really not an issue.

Review Date: 19th February, 2013

21st Feb 2013, 09:20

Original poster here. I forgot to write that I replaced the starter motor at around 90,000 miles.

Also, I replaced the steering idler arm and upper ball joints when I bought the truck at 78,000 miles.

These trucks are bad for wearing out the idler arms. If your steering wanders or seems to have too much play, it is most likely the idler arm is worn out. These can wear in as short as 25,000 miles. Very easy to replace. Make sure to buy the heavy duty version or super duty version when you replace it. They last longer.

1988 Chevrolet C1500 Cheyenne 305 from North America

Year of manufacture1988
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 305 Automatic

Summary:

Ready for another 400,000km

When I bought the truck, it had no starter on it, it was the only thing I had to replace on it, as the previous owner removed it to use on another truck.

I also had to replace the coolant temperature sensor, as the little clips broke off the side at one point in its life, and it kept unplugging itself.

General Comments:

I bought the truck for 300 bucks, and I currently drive it every day to work and school, which is at least 100km per day. I love this truck, it has never let me down, and it's really the only good thing I have.

I couldn't be more happier with my truck, I don't know why we can't build a truck that will last this long anymore. This truck has been treated like a truck all its life, and I have no plans of retiring it in the future. Me and my Chevy are planing to take a road trip from Nova Scotia (where I live), and drive to Route 66, possibly all the way to California this summer. I would trust this vehicle to go anywhere.

Review Date: 25th January, 2011

28th Jan 2011, 12:11

"I don't know why we can't build a truck that will last this long anymore."

Yes, they CAN build them like this, they just choose NOT to. That way, the stealerships can rake in the cash for the endless issues, while their front-line men work on these modern monstrosities for chump change. The automotive industry today is a joke. There is no money in this game for the hard-working, honest mechanic anymore. People are too blind and dumb like sheep to see it... after all, they are ultimately the ones responsible for this happening. People want their freaking useless gadgets, and pay tons of money for it. And, of course, the industry has found a way to cash in on the stupidity.