1970 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 305 V8 from North America

Summary:

Fast, beautiful, and a joy to drive

The day I drove it home from the dealer, the water pump blew. Replaced it in my brother-in-law's garage; about a three-hour job.

Carburetor went bad around 92,000 miles, needed to have that replaced.

Car went through brakes like candy, they needed to be replaced every 15,000 or so miles.

I drove it hard, so my Camaro needed new tires every so often. I probably replaced them four times during my ownership of the vehicle.

Speedometer was a little bit off for a year, which really started to bug me, so I got it replaced in 1976.

A lot of little rattles and minor annoyances while driving the car.

General Comments:

This car was actually a 1970 1/2 Camaro, perhaps the finest one ever manufactured. I purchased it used off of a dealer's lot for $3500, and sold it for three times that much four years later.

This was easily the fastest car I've ever owned; the amount of torque was just amazing; it went like a greasy cheetah.

However, it was not safe, and I needed money to put down on a house for my wife and I back then, so giving up the Camaro was a logical move.

Today, now that I'm older (and wiser), I would still love to have this car back, as a way of reliving my youth.

Review Date: 5th August, 2003

10th Jun 2006, 16:24

I had a 6 cylinder 250 cu in. '70 1/2 Camaro Rally Sport 3 speed on the floor. Would love to have it back. The only things that ever went wrong was the thermostat, clutch replaced and normal wear and tear. Easiest thing to work on I ever saw.

19th May 2008, 21:56

I had a yellow/w black vinyl top 350 4 bbl 4 speed with a Hurst shifter. I had a blast, raced it too, sold it to my brother after I logged 100,000 miles on it. I replaced the carb at 85,000 miles and clutch at 80,000 miles otherwise it was trouble free. A fun car.

19th May 2016, 02:53

This should be a 350 360HP as a Z/28 not a 305. You could buy a 307 V8 base in those days; not a great engine.

22nd May 2016, 11:45

I find it a stretch that you tripled your money in 3 years in 1973. You could have bought a new Lincoln for 6k. And a year later after that price, the Camaro would really fallen due to the oil embargo. In 1974 I could have bought a 63 Split Window Corvette for 2600.

22nd May 2016, 19:01

Understand, this is the same reviewer who said his '70 1/2 Camaro Z-28 had a 305 engine...