1978 Chevrolet Camaro Base 5.7 from North America

Summary:

I LOVE it!

It's a classic; That means I had to do the usual. I replaced most of the interior, brakes, brake lines, fuel tank, paint, etc.

General Comments:

The second generation Camaro is truly a driver's car. The braking and handling performance far exceed the previous generation, and the extended wheel base makes for a smooth ride down the road.

Plenty of leg room, and overall interior space for the front occupants (rear seat area is a little small).

The car gets plenty of attention everywhere I go... get used to talking to strangers about your car!

Engine performance will vary depending on how stock you keep the vehicle, but let me tell you, a set of aftermarket heads, intake, carb, and ignition make it a truly satisfying car to drive!

Review Date: 1st May, 2011

1978 Chevrolet Camaro RS 5.7L 350 from North America

Summary:

The best car I have ever, or could ever own

The car had some rust when bought.

The thermostat was sticking, which eventually caused the water pump to rattle; it was my own fault for not changing the thermostat soon enough, but VERY easy and cheap fix.

The carb was dirty, but a $10 rebuild kit fixed that, and since this was my first manual car, I burnt up the clutch, but that was to be expected.

All in all, nothing really has gone wrong.

General Comments:

The car has been a daily driver for nearly 33 years, and it shows, however given the use it gets and the little care it was given before me, the car is amazing.

The power will toss you into the back seat if you aren't ready for it. The 4spd tranny could use another gear, it revs a little high at around 80mph, however it's not that bad.

I would say if you have the option to get this car, please get it, you will fall in love LOL, it also uses all GM standard parts from a lot of their other cars and trucks, so parts are super-cheap.

Review Date: 6th January, 2010

4th Mar 2011, 08:37

I had a '78 also, great car. It was a 4 on the floor and ran great. I bought it for $1000 in 1993 and drove it some amazing places. Not so good in the Colorado snow, but great in the dry. The guy told me the engine was original and had recently been rebuilt. Well, what a rocket! What was even more amazing than the power was the fuel economy. I still can't believe how little it drank for a 350 V8! I miss the old girl - what a great car and memories.

1978 Chevrolet Camaro Base 305 V8 from North America

Summary:

A good restoration car

Almost every thing was wrong with this car when I bought it.

General Comments:

This car has enough power to push back wards over your seat. It doesn't handle very well though.

Review Date: 13th May, 2004

4th Apr 2010, 23:17

Can anyone tell me the MPG this 305 Camaro consumes???

24th Mar 2014, 22:49

Probably a lot.

26th Mar 2014, 08:52

Probably 14-15 MPG is my guess. Depends on the rear end ratio, carb used, state of tune, even oversize tires. I have had small blocks in single digit MPG, especially when adding a heavy foot. I learned long ago, don't buy classics, muscle cars and sports cars over MPG. When you do buy, check it's just for fun. I would rather have the HP.

Some guys on long trips may add a Tremec trans on a manual. I don't like how they affect the shifting. So I buy another tank and care less.