1988 Chevrolet Camaro Reviews

First year of ownership1993
Most recent year of ownership2011
Most recent distance312000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

Excellent

General Comments:

This has been a great car. I haven't changed anything on this car but an alternator, oil, and brakes. The rest of the car is all original. I repainted this car a few years ago, but the performance is so great. I raced a 2010 Mustang last year and I beat it. So this was a car that performs as a muscle car is expected to.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2011

3rd Mar 2011, 22:19

"I raced a 2010 Mustang last year and I beat it."

- The Mustang must have been missing a tire or 2.

4th Mar 2011, 09:35

You raced a 2011 Mustang with a bare bones stock 1988 Camaro? And won? Not to mention a Camaro with over 300k miles that you've done "nothing at all to". Yeah, you're going to be walking soon... Perhaps the Mustang owner was taking pity on you or had bigger fish to fry. I'm no Mustang fan, but there is no way. sorry. Oh one more thing, is your car a 3.5l, 305, or 350? I'm a little confused on that subject. Thanks.

7th Mar 2011, 12:35

If you won against a Mustang, it must not have been against a Mustang GT, it must have been a V6 Mustang.

1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28 5.7 from North America

Year of manufacture1988
First year of ownership2009
Distance when acquired22000 miles
Previous carNissan Sentra

Summary:

It's a great car, good on gas for a V-8, and it packs a lot of power that many newer cars fail at

The alternator is going out now at 24,443 miles. I am replacing that soon, but it's really affordable, vs. the newer cars.

One of my hood louvers flew off my hood & I had to find a new pair to put on. I am lucky to have found a set for $20, because they run up to $300 on eBay.com.

My temp gauge got stuck up all the way in the instrument panel when I revved my engine up one day.

Seats are worn like most Camaro's, but there are covers for the seats.

The driver side mirror is loose, but that's an easy fix. The door handles are weak, mostly on the driver side, but that's pretty common in Camaro's.

T-Tops leak on driver side, which is one reason I won't drive it in the rain. However the leak is minor, as most Camaro's with T-Tops will leak.

General Comments:

I bought this car about a month ago. Since I've had it I've driven it more than my other car. I have a Jeep for the wet days & icey days. This Camaro is super wicked.

There were mods already on the car before I bought it. So both horsepower & torque are above factory standard for this 88 model. I'm currently adding more to it as I speak.

I've raced a few cars & I've won all so far. My exhaust is aftermarket, & my car handles well when I apply extra pressure.

My brakes are at 80%, & my tires are over 75% tread.

Review Date: 30th April, 2009

1988 Chevrolet Camaro RS/Z28 5.0/305 from North America

Year of manufacture1987
Engine and transmission 5.0/305 Automatic
Distance when acquired62000 miles

Summary:

Looks good, sounds good, and runs good; what more could you ask for?

Car has been garage kept for its whole life, so nothing mechanical has gone wrong, and it basically has all original parts.

General Comments:

The car is awesome, it runs great with the after market performance exhaust I've installed with 3" pipe and no mufflers. Installed an open element air cleaner by Edelbrock to finish off it' great looks.

Car is a very comfortable cruiser, and has a pretty smooth ride for a sports car.

Handles great, very similar to a Corvette in driving position and feel.

Cheaper to maintain than a Corvette, and is surprisingly good on gas if you drive easy.

Lays rubber when it bangs second gear, and chirps in third with crisp shifting transmission.

Tall gearing makes for a relaxed cruise and quiet highway running.

This is my first car, and I'm proud to say that I have a true American sports/muscle car, and love working on it on the weekends making it better.

I love this car, it looks sweet, runs strong, and with the T-tops out, nothing feels better. I hope to keep it forever for sentimental value.

I strongly recommend a third gen Camaro to anyone who wants a good looking and reliable sports car, without all the tempermental fuss of modern cars.

Review Date: 29th November, 2007

15th Feb 2008, 11:20

I'm the original writer of this review, I accidentaly put it under the 1987 model year, but it should actually go under 1988. If it could be moved it would be appreciated. Thanks.

16th Feb 2008, 07:18

********************

steven@carsurvey.org

********************

Thanks for the review. The site is organised by year of manufacture, rather than by model year, so your review is in the correct location.

This is because the site is international (10 years ago originally a UK and Ireland only site), and model years aren't a universal concept (Ford don't sell a '2008 Ford Focus' in the UK for example).

The model year (1988) is shown further down the review, to minimise confusion.