1977 Chevrolet Corvette L48 350 from North America

Summary:

Excellent driver and looker

Had to replace brake calipers.

General Comments:

This car is super clean.. no rust on the frame. All original engine and drive line components. Original interior except front carpet.

Review Date: 16th October, 2009

1977 Chevrolet Corvette 2 Dr Coupe 350 5.7L V8 from North America

Summary:

A pleasure to own and maintain

Here's a list of what I've done.

- Brand new v8 350 5.7L Crate Engine

- Chrome tail pipe extensions

- Changed carpets to Black from Shale

- Woodgrain Dash

- New Headlamp assembly and bezels

- Blacked-out rallies with chrome rim.

- Tinted rear window

- Holley Carb

- Edelbrock Intake manifold.

- New Composite Rear transverse spring.

Damn, that's a lot (Not to mention the constant polishing and waxing on its black 2 clear-coat enamel paint.

Theres more but I am too tired to list everything.

General Comments:

Nothing has really gone wrong with the car. That's not something you say about a 30 year old classic. It is all in terms of how much you want to invest in restoring the classic to its original beauty. I've invested about $5000 in the interior and other things. I've owned a 1999 Durango, 2003 Intrepid, 1996 Cherokee, 2000 VW Passat. BUT this classic stingray is the love of my life... Like a mistress you cannot say no to.. And a blast to drive!!

THe amount you put into it is irrelevant compared to the stares and the joy of driving a beast like this!

And that's the truth!

Review Date: 2nd March, 2006

1977 Chevrolet Corvette L-82 from North America

Summary:

Costs more than any woman, but more rewarding

Door Handle (exterior driver side of course)

Oil seal replacement.

Many parts replaced when received.

General Comments:

This beautiful car has always been a childhood dream to own and now it's a reality that has been considered a nightmare to some, but so far, heaven to me. Owning a car that is over 25 yrs old is of course going to give you the annoying problems to fix, but I read somewhere that owning an old corvette is just like a marriage. In fact it even costs more and even lasts longer. So far my repairs have been annoying, but the overall apperence is awesome. If you go by the 5 foot rule were you stand 5 feet away it looks perfect. I've only spent about 500 dollars so far and I only need to spend another 2000 thousand to make every little anal thing complete and perfect. The initial purchase price was 8,500 which is great for a car in this condition and it is more than fun to drive on those little highways were very few state patrol cruise. Every time I stop at a light or at a gas station (which I have to do often) someone always has to comment on the beauty of my classic beauty. You could spend 40,000 dollars on a escalade or a BMW, but there are so many of them out there they never get noticed. At least not nearly as noticed as the old Generals Macho shark look. The best thing to remember is the cheaper the initial price the more money needs to be pumped into your girl to make her look respectable. In most cases the higher the initial price the less that needs to be done.

Review Date: 25th May, 2004

12th Jul 2005, 19:30

Very very true.

1977 Chevrolet Corvette L48 5.7 Liter from North America

Summary:

An expensive and addicting hobby

The list of things gone wrong is almost impossible to write. I started installing a completely brand new suspension. Yes, every component of the suspension ended up being replaced from the trailing arms, to the tie rods, to the front control arms to the sway bars and everything possible that costs a lot of money. The entire drive-train has either been rebuilt, including the rear end, transmission, and most recently the motor. The motor is going to have about 300 HP when I'm done with it. With roller rockers, a real nice camshaft, brand new crank, and a nice set of pistons, I'm sure the performance will be a bit more than the original 180HP motor put out.

I also installed a custom exhaust, starting with hooker headers, to a true dual exhaust complete with high performance catalytic converts (to keep it legal and all), then it exits through a set of Dynomax super turbo mufflers.

The whole stereo has been upgraded from a dual shaft head unit with two 4 by 6's to complete custom system costing well over $1200. I could go into details, but it would get quite boring.

Parts are readily available through a vast array of catalogs, but Corvette items are quite expensive... get a few catalogs and shop around.

Some parts however, are extremely hard to find, like the speedometer, headlight switch, and many random parts that have to be found at a swap meet.

General Comments:

I bought the car as a driver, and it ended up as my second car. This was good because by now, it's completely restored. If you plan on owning an old Corvette, either spend the extra money on one that has receipts for everything, and make sure it is in mint shape, OR you could by a cheap one (like I did) and spend way too much money that you will never see again. (I'm up to about $23,000 in buying the car and restoring it)

I've grown quite attached to the car, if you plan on buying one, make sure you know what your getting into first.

Review Date: 29th April, 2002

14th Jan 2003, 11:01

So you have $23K invested in a Corvette that I believe to be superior in looks to the new ones. It looks twice as good and costs less than half, not to mention insurance and registration costs. Sounds like a fantastic deal to me.

12th Jul 2005, 19:36

My story is that I bought my 77 vette four years ago, everything under the hood is either new or rebuild...

New paint, custom inter. total cost about $20,000...

I actually think it is way too much money that I will not get it back. Though it is like marriage... I hate it as much as I love it... can't stand it, but can't get rid of it either.

I was a bit surprised when I saw the comment that $23,000 could be considered as a good deal...