1977 Chevrolet Corvette Base 5.7L from North America

Summary:

American dream 1977-2017

I want to open up with a few details about myself. I'm a 28 year old Active Duty Naval Aircrewman. I fly for a living and was looking for something in the American Classic category that was easy to work on and small enough to fit in a two car garage. This was it and it was worth it. Here we go:

PROS:

- Sleek and respected by enthusiasts.

- Comfortable.

- Reliable engine.

- Ahead in technology for the year.

- Perfect size for a classic.

- Fun to cruise the highway in.

- Very easy for even a novice to work on.

CONS:

- COOLING: Immediately replaced the outdated cooling system. Replaced with an aluminum radiator and upgraded the water pump. This car does not like hot climates due to the poor airflow design of the old brass radiator. This will solve almost every headache.

- USE ONLY PREMIUM GAS. The engine idles better, more reliable, and will help keep your engine alive for another century.

- POWER STEERING: The original control module was problematic from the start. Leaks are unavoidable. If you don't want to upgrade the pump due to your financial situation, use LUCAS OIL Power Steering Stop Leak and it will give you weeks of use before topping it off.

General Comments:

Buy it. For the price, you cannot go wrong. The fiber glass body makes it desirable for anti corrosion and weight.

Drive it, don't leave it sitting. Leaving it sitting kills your engine seals.

Don't upgrade the engine to make it fast. The car is highly respected as numbers matching... you can upgrade parts, but leave the engine and transmission.

It is not a race car, but is a TON OF FUN to drive. You will not stop getting praise.

Review Date: 4th March, 2017

4th Mar 2017, 19:22

I changed my fan and removed the dust shields for added cooling. I had a few of these. I had a 406 with 400 HP vs the stock 350 with only around 190 HP. 4 speed earlier C3 Convertible. Moved my shifter up a notch to make it short throw. I like the stock appearance, but the headers and performance give it away.

I agree with the issues of letting them sit. You have to replace the entire brake system. Cleaning the main ground underneath will also pay dividends with electrical issues. I always put a kill switch on old cars and old wiring as soon as I buy them. Open the compartment behind the driver's seat and install one. It's a bit hard as space is cramped.

If you find a 75 or earlier Convertible, grab it. I almost never rode with the top up. Great effect and no claustrophobic feel with it down. Convertibles with a 4 speed are quite rare. Back in the day it seems everyone wanted T Top automatics. I would also not sink a lot into a more common model with many issues. People I know put money into a C5 for just a small step up. New platform and overall a far nicer one to drive. Chrome bumper models have dipped a bit too. But they really capture the classic coke bottle styling very well. I always liked and still like the classic dash layout. I had issues with the vac operated lights and some early ones had wiper door issues. The fiber optics were cool showing a light out. My favorite C3s were 69-72.

1977 Chevrolet Corvette L82 5.7 V8 from North America

Summary:

The car is a real attention/respect getter

I've had to put a frame underneath the car. That's was only about 1,800 bucks, but it was something I could live with. Most issues with the vehicle were cosmetic. I had it repainted, shined the interior up by installing a new headlight switches, carpet, and putting a new stereo in the car.

General Comments:

Most people get these vehicles and sink thousands into them, don't do that. Slowly put money into the vehicle otherwise you won't be happy once it's completely done. A lot of owners let them sit, so if you find one with low miles, then get ready to pay for seals and gaskets that have gone bad. It's normally small stuff, but one thing after another goes bad.

Review Date: 30th October, 2009