1987 Chevrolet Corvette Reviews

1987 Chevrolet Corvette L98 350 from North America

Model year1987
Engine and transmission 350 Manual
Previous carPontiac Fiero

Summary:

Pure fun for a reasonable price

Car was a well used/abused car when I bought it. Mechanically the car seems pretty good knowing it was abused. Engine runs great after I replaced the idle control valve. Other than that it has been good. 4000 miles is no judge, but so far mechanically it's been great.

Interior is very prone to noise if all screws are not in tight and secure. Interior was stripped, and many of the parts where cracked and needed repaired or replaced. Once all screws and bad or broken parts were replaced, the car is pretty much noise free.

Car has LOTS of road noise, but this is expected with the wide tires. Car is very low and no fun to get in and out of, but once in, it's a great feeling.

General Comments:

Car for its year is pretty decent. Comparing it to other cars of the year performance wise, it's very nice. To modern performance cars, not so much.

I have rode in several "new" performance cars and they are wonderful, but nothing compares to good old BRUTE torque of the old GM V-8's. Maybe I'm jaded, but a car that can start in 4th gear and not chatter/chug is pretty impressive.

Overall the car is only for somebody who wants one, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody else. Test drive and KNOW it's what you want.

Review Date: 14th July, 2009

4th Nov 2013, 18:08

What was your Vette doing before you replaced the IAC? My car has a high idle, but drops to normal every now and then. Also, the SES light is on; I'm sure that's related. Just wondering if your problem was similar to mine before I start throwing money at my car.

1987 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 5.7 liter gas from North America

Model year1987
Engine and transmission 5.7 liter gas Automatic

Summary:

I love mine!

Headlight motor replaced.

General Comments:

This convertible is one of several 'Vettes I've owned over the years. I love it! It's 21 years old, not perfect, but one of the most fun cars I've ever owned.

The only problems I've had have been minor cosmetic issues from age and lack of care by previous owners. I intend to do some minor restoration but mainly leave it to be what it is... a very dependable, good-looking old car! After all... it is a Corvette!

Review Date: 28th July, 2008

1987 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 5.7 from North America

Most recent distance82000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Corvette

Summary:

Great

Catalytic Converters, ERG equipment, Heater core, leaky radiator, shoty injectors, cracked dash and seats.

General Comments:

The car is the funnest car that I have ever driven. I had an '80 Mustang, '89Accord, '94 Camaro, '96 Silverado. The Vette is a car that is special. I have had the car less than a week and have spent overhundreds of dollars. The car was sitting for two years before we got it. All the problems were incurred in the sitting process. It feels great to take the top off. It is also great when you can dust paps next to you. The only car, that is affordable, that can dust the Vette is a new Nissan 350x.

Review Date: 5th April, 2004

1987 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 5.7 litre V8 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 5.7 litre V8 Automatic
Distance when acquired72000 miles
Most recent distance82000 miles
Previous carBuick Regal

Summary:

Poor mans worst nightmare

My father owned this car for ten years. I bought the car knowing of a computer problem and head gasket problem.

In the two years I've owned it, I have had the following replaced; head gaskets, intake gaskets, two U-joints, the Mass Air Flow Sensor, valve springs, valves. I have put approx. $4000.00 into repairs since I've owned it. Still today, the computer problem still exist. The car recently died. It sits in the parking lot dead as a door nail with the windows down. I've covered both windows with trash bags and duct tape. I have no desire to have it fixed.

General Comments:

When the car runs, its very nice to drive. Its much more comfortable on road trips than my 2500 Dodge Ram Cummings.

However you look at it, the vette is a piece of junk. Period.

Review Date: 30th November, 2002

13th Feb 2003, 11:08

Hey buddy I'll buy it from you. Man a corvette You should be lucky to have it! Fix it or sell it!

17th Feb 2003, 03:57

Some people would kill for a Corvette, especially here in Australia. I don't know what year or model the Corvette is, but you should be thankful you have a piece of American motoring history. If you don't appreciate what you have at least sell it so someone can appreciate it.

1987 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 5.7 from North America