2001 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe from North America - Comments

1st May 2006, 09:31

I'd personally prefer the automatic 'Vette, versus the manual. The 6 spd 01' Corvette Coupe I drove was kind of irritating because of that weird "Skip 2nd" feature on it.

1st May 2006, 21:58

A sports car needs a clutch. There is no other feeling better than havin a RWD car in a powerslide while slipping the clutch to keep the rear end out there while drifting around the corner.

2nd May 2006, 09:02

AutoWeek just did a review of the new Porsche Turbo and under any condition the automatic (Tiptronic) was faster than the manual.

The days of shift yourself cars are ending unfortunately.

2nd May 2006, 15:23

I know its coming to an end, its unfortunate though. But it seems people have no need for manuals anymore. But hey, at least I can get them cheap, drive'em into the ground and have loads of fun doing it.

Good luck with those... tiptronic buttons and paddles...

2nd May 2006, 20:22

I drive my sons Viper 6 speed if it was an automatic it wouldn't be the same car!

3rd May 2006, 14:49

36 mpg highway in an automatic 'Vette? Uh... I don't think so.

11th May 2006, 13:20

I (writer of the review) never said 36 MPG highway. I get around 24 on the highway. What I meant was that there is a long (4 miles) steep hill on my way to work, so I put it in neutral and roll down the whole way. Then I take a 45 MPH road back home. Anything over 45 MPH and the gas mileage plummets. With that combination, I was able to hit 37.2 MPG at best. That is because this car was in neutral most of the time. If you did that with a Civic, you'd probably be nailing 70-80 MPG. But no way does this car get 36 MPG with regular driving. Expect 19-22 if your nice, and 9-15 if you're not.

24th May 2006, 05:09

Manual boxes will never die out. Any proper sports car, and driver will want a clutch. Try to heel and toe and auto and it's hardly the same! A proper driver needs full control, not laziness. Production is dictated by the market. If most people don't want a manual it will become uneconomical to produce one, even as an option. Auto's are becoming more popular on sports cars because you want them to be...

24th May 2006, 15:11

I don't think its good for the tranny to be in neutral while going 60+ mph, you'll end up burning up a bearing or frying the gears.

Same with a manual if you hold the clutch in down a hill, the throwout bearing will crap out.

8th Jun 2006, 01:37

How would putting a transmission in neutral fry the gears and the bearings? Doesn't it spin at the same speed whether engaged to the engine or not? I don't see how neutral would destroy the transmission.

10th Oct 2009, 22:41

I have a 01 Coupe Corvette; I would say it is the best Sports car for the price period. It is a very comfortable car to drive, I can and have driven over 800 miles in one day in mine and could have driven more. I have been in other vehicles, and after only short drives could not wait to get out it.

Yes I does have more warning than most cars, but for one, if you have it outside on cold days, expect a low tire pressure warning. If you use some common sense, you will know it is due to the cold temps.

I do wish it did not have run flats, but I think they wanted to get rid of the spare. Some have gone to non run flats and say it makes it a completely better ride.

I love driving mine and love long drives in country, It is a great American Sports car. Yes their may be more exotic sports cars.

Corvette has a following, how many shows do other cars have that 1000 drivers across the country to attend? I bet there are not as many shows as Corvettes have. Bowling Green KY had their first Caravan and they had 30 mile long caravan of Corvettes traveling to Bowling Green using both lanes. Can you name another car that has that many attending and could do the same?

I bet not!