2012 Chevrolet Cruze Reviews

First year of ownership2013
Most recent year of ownership2014
Engine and transmission 1.8 turbo Automatic
Previous carLexus GS

Summary:

Not worth the hassle

The car has had issues with not downshifting. The dealer was able to remedy at 12,000 miles.

We have taken the Cruze back to the dealer four times in the past four months, for issues involving the stock in-dash navigation.

The car was taken in on a separate occasion for the transmission issue. Either being completely unresponsive, and at one point even smoking and becoming hot to the touch.

So far the dealer has not been able to remedy this issue; the most recent time I asked the dealer to provide me with receipts for the last few times I had taken the car in. On the service writer's computer screen, I saw 20-30 service records for my car.

General Comments:

The car is attractive and has nice ride/acceleration for a small car.

Sadly I have been very disappointed with the radio/navigation not working.

I do not expect to have this many issues with a new car, especially from a new Chevrolet.

The car does not compare to the 2003 Lexus that it replaced.

So far the car has been a great disappointment.

Review Date: 13th January, 2014

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.8 petrol from South Africa

Model year2012
Year of manufacture2012
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 1.8 petrol Automatic

Summary:

A truly dreadful car

Nothing, but too soon to say. Though probably too simple for much to go wrong.

General Comments:

This is just a rotten car. I am currently on a three week driving holiday in South Africa, and I am stuck with the Chevrolet (Holden) Cruze.

I paid more for the 1.8 so that I would have a car with decent power (I normally drive a V6 Camry at home), but gutless doesn't begin to describe this POS. Honestly, the Hyundai Accent I hired in the US a couple of years ago had more power and was more comfortable into the bargain. This thing screams at the slightest incline, yet nothing much seems to happen, forward-propulsion-wise.

The driver's seat has NO lumbar support - the seat back is absolutely flat and I have to have a cushion behind my back, or else I am in serious pain after an hour.

The air conditioning is useless - you still need to have the windows down, even with the climate control down as low as it goes and the fan turned up to 5.

The steering is dangerously light - one slight twitch and your headed in a completely different direction. It's really tiring driving this car for hours on end, trying to keep it on a smooth course.

The centre stack has far too many buttons - you need to take your eyes off the road just to make sure you hit the correct function.

Take my word for it - save yourself the trouble of trying out this car and head straight to the Hyundai dealer instead. When I hired the Accent in the US, I swapped it after a couple of days for an Elantra (wanted more power). The Elantra has its faults, but honestly it runs rings around the Cruze - it was comfortable, felt secure at high speed and actually sped up when you put your foot down. Oh and the air con worked too - bear in mind that was during an American summer. This Cruze's air con can't cope with a South African winter!

I love South Africa, but I can't wait to get home to Australia and drive my Camry again! Given that the Camry is the most boring car in the world, I think that's a pretty strong statement about the Cruze!

Review Date: 11th July, 2013

12th Jul 2013, 17:30

I think the 1.8 actually has some nice power. It's a small car to propel, so it's actually pretty quick off the line and through the first few gears. Uphill will be rough on any car.

12th Jul 2013, 19:43

I've hired a few 1.8L petrol auto Cruzes in Queensland for work; not by choice, but because that's what they gave me. Truly dreadful cars, the most gutless buckets I've ever driven. The build quality was pretty bad too. Put me off anything with a Cruze badge on it, even though the newer turbo engines are meant to be better, but I haven't driven any of those. I have no desire to either.

My '07 2.0L TDCi Focus is a far, far better car to drive than any Cruze I've personally driven.

5th Feb 2014, 09:45

Of course the 1.8 is weak, it's the base engine. Should have got the 1.4L turbo.

6th Feb 2014, 13:25

And if you have to get the 1.8 for whatever reason (price, no turbo to worry about, etc.) get the manual. The 1.8 plus automatic is nothing but a disaster. If you want an automatic, get the turbo diesel one.