2018 Chevrolet Cruze LS 1.4 turbo gasoline from North America

Summary:

Great effort from GM, sad to see it go

So far nothing; I have done 15K miles in less than a year.

I received a recall for a fuel pump locking ring; it was replaced at the dealer no sweat.

General Comments:

This was my first new car ever.

I got it at a deep discount and ended up paying $11K out the door (I could not believe the price); then I found out a few months later that GM was closing several plants, including Lordstown where this car was built, so I guess they were trying to get rid of all inventory while phasing it out. :(

I think the car is nice to look at, the interior has a nice fit and finish, it had a bunch of safety features, good connectivity, and it was nicely equipped. I got the manual 6 speed transmission version, and all I could say is that it's fun to drive. I get between 42-44 MPG constantly, and so far no issues in 15K miles.

It was a very good effort from GM; sad to see it go and for the people that built it.

Review Date: 25th January, 2019

2018 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4 turbo gas from North America

Summary:

Good value car!!!

Just an annoying feature! The GRID lines on the backup camera only appear about half the time. Dealership says there is a Factory Service Bulletin for the issue, but as yet no known fix. Apparently there is radio interference to the backup camera. The backup camera picture is fine. Dealer replaced the camera but no change.

General Comments:

Amazing gas mileage, and this is the hatchback model. Screen well laid out and controls all logical. Lots of pep for such a small engine! Drives and rides well.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2018

27th Jan 2019, 15:10

Jan 25th and GM no resolution for the back up camera!!

2018 Chevrolet Cruze 1.6 diesel from North America

Summary:

The best little car you've probably never heard of

Nothing as I only drove it for a week

General Comments:

This car belongs to my mother in law. It's a bit of an oddball (for the US) and most people I talk to are completely unaware that GM actually produces a small diesel powered car. This one is the hatchback model and has a 6 speed manual transmission.

You'd never know this was a diesel by the way it sounds and smells. There is only a slight diesel clatter. Otherwise it's pretty quite. There is no diesel smell either.

Overall the car was a real blast to drive. The torque from the diesel engine was a nice little kick in the pants. I was amazed that even at lower speeds, putting it into any gear I could still accelerate pretty quickly. The 6 speed manual transmission was very easy to shift and felt refined. On the highway I would put it in 6th gear and the engine would settle in a nice low hum. The best part is that I was getting close to 50 MPG despite driving it somewhat aggressively.

Interior-wise the seats were comfortable and well-positioned. The fit and finish was decent. Not amazing but good for a $26,000 car. There was a lot of room in the hatch area too.

Overall I really liked driving it. It's only a shame that hardly anyone knows this car actually exists, as I've only seen a handful of them on the road.

Review Date: 26th October, 2018