1964 Chevrolet Impala SS from North America

Transmission began slipping from too much racing.

General Comments:

The car was a 1964 SS Impala Convertible. Dark blue with white top, beautiful light blue interior with bucket seats, and a consul three speed automatic.

I would still have the car, except it was stolen one summer day and the police never found it.

Chevy's just don't look like that anymore.

Review Date: 18th March, 2011

21st Mar 2011, 19:40

What engine did your Impala have? Too bad your car got stolen.

22nd Mar 2011, 13:15

I had a blue with black top and interior. Mine was a 4 speed. This car could be started without a key and even the key could pull out while running. It was important to turn far to the left to require the key for a restart.

Issues I had were slamming the trunk and losing my tailights. Shook them loose. I had 3 1963 models prettier cars and 1 was a silver wagon white painted roof. The 64 was rare and a nice car. The black interior was hot with the top down.

These cars ride nice and are very simple to maintain. Areas to watch for are rusted floor pans rockers and trunks. The 61 I heard was even worse. The fish scale SS mouldings and even the SS hubcaps compliment the boxy 64. Power steering and better brakes are good to have in these full size cars.

19th Jul 2016, 20:48

I cringe when I see these cars set up with hydraulics and ridiculous paint. And massive wheels. Restored with the stock look in correct factory colors they are a gem. Try to find a 409.

20th Jul 2016, 20:27

Agreed. Wouldn't be so bad if they just did low-line Biscayne or BelAir sedans, but they seem to favor the Impala hardtops and ragtops.

And once the car has been dorked ("donked"), it is not ever going to be restored back to stock!

22nd Jul 2016, 16:35

Actually they can. I do not think they are doing Super Sports or 4 speed cars. I owned 3 1963s and 1 1964, all Super Sports. I would have passed on the 64 but it was a convertible and rare 4 speed. All convertibles I have seen were automatics. I made money on every single one. Issues were if you slammed the trunk really hard, a twilight would usually loosen. You could pull the key out with the car running. I liked the fish scale trim on the SS side moldings and console.