1969 Chevrolet Impala Custom Coupe 350 4bbl from North America

Summary:

Absolutely classic Americana

The floor had two holes due to rust.

There was no thermostat/heat.

The vinyl roof was in rough shape.

The A/C needs to be charged.

Carpeting was poor on the driver's side.

Needed a new radio.

General Comments:

I am the third owner of a classic Chevy coupe. It was owned previously by some friend's who used it only occasionally. The first and second owners took very good care of it. It has no squeaks or rattles. The engine is strong. Transmission is good. Original fabric seats (!) in very good condition. No cracks in dash. Vinyl roof was replaced due to being parked under a tree for 8 years - sap ended up destroying it.

Parts availability is very good. Prices are reasonable, especially compared to the European cars that I currently own. However, buying gas could put one in the poorhouse.

The car just completed a 1750 mile trip and used less than a quart of oil. With a good stereo, it's an excellent way to travel. I am considering converting the car to propane due to environmental issues.

I just drove the car up from Malibu California to Edmonton Alberta and it performed very well. The car gets 17 MPG if speed is under 70 MPH, but only 12 MPG if over 70 MPG. It's an excellent cruiser. The car is especially good on 2 lane highways.

Review Date: 25th December, 2003

13th Jun 2007, 01:31

I'm back!

I've now owned the car (mentioned above) for approx 4 years. It's never been towed or broken down. The air conditioning was charged with R134 and works well.

The springs were replaced and turned out to be duds. They lasted about a year. They compressed to the point that they would have ended up ruining the front suspension if they weren't changed. I've since replaced them again with a name brand product and they're good. A bit too firm for me; I would now go with the OEM stock springs.

Now it really needs a paint job. And down the line, a rebuilt transmission.