1969 Chevrolet Impala Reviews

First year of ownership1969
Most recent year of ownership1982
Engine and transmission 327 V8 Automatic
Previous carVolkswagen Squareback

Summary:

Park it, fill it with dirt and use it as a planter

Engine would intermittently stop running, body rusted out, suspension sagged and became very loose. Transmission was basically useless junk, and the brakes could barely stop a bicycle going uphill. Engine eventually froze up.

General Comments:

I think this car was designed by the same engineers that designed the Sherman Tank. The driver's side door on this car weighs exactly as much as a 2009 Toyota Corolla. (at least if feels like it) This car is the perfect car for use in a demolition derby in which the competition drives armor plated hummers. The only problem with this car is that it is: unreliable, inefficient, unsafe, slow, handles poorly, leaks in the rain, is very loud, and is one of the reasons GM is bankrupt today.

Review Date: 27th August, 2009

28th Aug 2009, 15:40

You bought a '69 car in '69, and it already had 60,000 miles? I think that explains all the problems right there...

19th Feb 2011, 01:13

I owned a '69 Impala sedan with a 350 back in college 12 years ago. I paid $500.00 for it with unknown miles, and installed a new water pump AND timing chain/gears just because I heard the nylon gears wear out. Long story short, that car was the best damn reliable car I ever owned. I own a '06 BMW 3 series and it's been in the shop more than my garage, drives me nuts.

I bought a newer 2000 Acura Legend in '02 after the Impala was gone, and had nothing but transmission problems. I don't know what you're complaining about, it seems some people and older cars don't go together well.

1969 Chevrolet Impala 350 V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1969
First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 350 V8 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Impala

Summary:

A wonderful land yacht to own and drive

Timing chain gears recently wore off (I've got pictures and the old set hanging on the garage wall), so now I'm in the process of replacing the old set with a new double-roller timing set. Getting the timing chain cover back on is proving to be the hardest part of the project.

Leaks oil, and I'm betting the engine just needs to be rebuilt.

Battery has died once.

Rusted and leaking fuel tank, which I patched, and then blew the patches by trying to blow out the fuel lines because I neglected to remove the gas cap. Ruseted wheel wells and window frames.

Replaced the fuel lines, the old ones went from 1/4 in. to 3/8, to 1/4, and was not pretty!

Looses brake fluid. The brake master cylinder will be bone dry after a month, but I cannot for the life of me find the leak.

General Comments:

I inherited this car from my grandfather in 1997. A 4-door sedan, no "B" pillar to obscure your view with all the windows rolled down. I always loved to go to town with him in it as a kid. He lived out in the country in Iowa, and the drive to town would take over an hour. Riding in this "land yacht" was always a pleasure. My grandpa would never get above 55 mph in this car, and babied it.

Surrounded by such a mass of steel and chrome, I'll feel sorry if someone in a little tin can accidentally gets in my way. Funny thing is, I also drive a Honda Civic and keep a watchful eye out for the other "land yachts" out there.

I'm currently torn between putting a lot of money into a new engine or getting rid of the car. The sentimental value of it is incredible. The interior is not that bad, I've put in a new radio and speakers, and I still love the land sailing type feel ride of it. There is nothing like riding in a classic American automobile such as this.

It's no hot-rod, but the sweet idle tune of the new dual exhaust and headers is music to my ears.

Review Date: 19th April, 2004

8th Jul 2005, 19:16

Fix the Impala!!! Sell the Civic for the funds if you have to, but fix the Impala. You will never lose money on that investment.

28th Oct 2005, 03:28

Well the civic is no hot rod. I own a 77 impala. and wouldn't sell it for the world. id be scared of hitting a civic and killing someone. my opinion if the car can last 30 years and survive getting hit form a SUV its worth it.