1981 Chevrolet Malibu Classic 321 from North America

Summary:

Reliable and rugged

Between 1981 to 2004, Fuse link burnt twice.

My head gasket blew at 165,000km.

Water coming from behind the dash when it rains and onto the front passenger floor discovered around 180,000km.

I wore out the transmission around 180,000km and replaced it with a turbo 300 transmission.

I had to replace the wiper blade motor at around 220,000km.

The gas tank was repaired and rubberized at around 200,000km.

The front left wheel bearings broke and had them replaced around 200,000km.

The rubber on the bumpers have been worn away around 250,000km, so I removed them.

During work on the exhaust system, I discovered that the front passenger floor no longer existed at around 280,000km. The carpet was thick and stiff to hold the passengers feet up. I made up a floor using stainless steel and rivets.

General Comments:

On my travels, I had driven many cars and I was always happy to come back home to my Malibu Classic.

It proved to be rugged and reliable over the years.

I love this car so much that in 1997 I had acquired another Malibu (1983) and had split the diving between the two.

Around 290,000km (both cars) rains inside when it rains outside.

The body and engine on my 1983 Malibu are too extensively worn away that I had to scrap this car. This was a sad day for me (January 2004).

After bringing my Malibu (1981) for a oil change and check up, The mechanic tells me that the car arches on the lift and it's time has come to let go (mid february 2004).

I am still driving my Malibu but her engine struggles when going up small hills (300,000km) and with the fright of her falling apart on me, I'm letting her go this week. I am very saddened. I cannot find another car like her. I am picking up a car this week. It won't be the same.

Review Date: 8th March, 2004

1981 Chevrolet Malibu 2 door 350 5.7ltr. from North America

Summary:

What a great car!

This car was my first car. I got it and had to do lots of work to get it back to a safe car. The person who had the car before me didn't keep up the car. It was a project for me and I enjoyed every minute of it. I had a wreck in this car just a few months ago. Even though I totaled out the car by hitting another car head on I walked away! This make and model made a great first car for myself. It was a safe hot rod!!

Review Date: 27th October, 2003

1981 Chevrolet Malibu Not sure yet Not sure from North America

Summary:

Please help!!!

I have just bought a Malibu and I was wondering what this car is like? It is an 1981 and it is in awesome condition. This is my first car for I am 16 and I needed an inexpensive car. What is the performance in this car? What are some other pros and cons of this car? Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Review Date: 1st April, 2003

1st Apr 2003, 17:20

Congrats on your Malibu! Your car comes equipped with either a 110 hp V6, a 5 liter V8, a 5.4 liter V8, or a diesel 4.3 liter V6. 0-100km acceleration= 14.2 seconds. Your maximum speed is 160km (approx 100 mph) You've got a three speed automatic transmission. I'm afraid that's all I can say, as I happened to have a 1981 car guide. I hope this helps! Good luck!

-Jeff p.s. I owned a 96 Malibu. Great car, but had to sell it!

1st Jun 2003, 14:03

The 81 Malibu could also be had with a 4.4 liter, 267 cubic inch 2 barrel V8, VIN code for that motor is J.

1st Jun 2003, 21:22

I believe the 267 V8 was only 115 or 120 hp in 81.

27th Mar 2005, 16:00

Congrats on your 81 Malibu classic. I bought my Malibu new in 1981,still have it! Hard to find parts, but not imposable. You have a fine car! take care of it, this is a car that will last for ever if you just love it a little.

The style of the car is very cool, looks sharp with a new paint job.. You have a great car Steve!! next year your car will be a relic, 25 years yep!! hold on to it you won't be sorry... regards Tom aka HAVASU TOMMY..

23rd Jul 2005, 16:56

How many sec does a Malibu 4,9 V8 take to reach 100kph (60mph)? and what is the fuel usage of รก 1979-1980 Malibu.

12th Mar 2008, 18:51

Congrats! AWESOME cars, they will run forever! Take care of it; soon they it will be a classic!

13th Mar 2008, 11:05

Guys, he posted this in 2003. No doubt that poor old Malibu is long gone by now.