Chevrolet Matiz Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2006 Chevrolet Matiz SE 1.0 from UK and Ireland

Model year2006
Year of manufacture2006
Previous carDaewoo Matiz

Summary:

A great first time car. Will buy the next model up, the Kalos, in 2 years time

Since I have owned the Chevrolet Matiz, nothing has gone wrong with the car.

General Comments:

A great car for a first time driver like me.

Outstanding MPG; it says around 58MPG, but I'm able to get 69 MPG.

Very good looking.

Easy to drive and park.

Outstanding reliability.

Review Date: 23rd March, 2008

2007 Chevrolet Matiz SE 1.0 from UK and Ireland

Model year2007
Year of manufacture2007
Previous carSkoda Felicia

Summary:

I think this car is total rubbish

Nothing went wrong on the car, as I only hired it for a week when my Felicia was having a new clutch.

I didn't like the speedo placement.

No engine temperature gauge.

The soft suspension, plus the tallish body meant taking corners on the motorway was a white knuckle ride.

You only get 1 electric mirror.

Sure it's more modern than my Felicia, and has air-con plus other goodies.

But I really really did not like this car.

I cannot justify buying this to anyone even my worst enemy, as even my sister's M reg Micra outclasses this on the road.

General Comments:

I liked thew Blaupunkt stereo and under-seat storage drawers...

And that was it.

In town it handles OK, but there's nothing else to like.

Save your money and buy a a 14 year old Micra or 10 year old Skoda Felicia.

You'd not only save a fair packet on outright purchase costs but you'd feel a lot happier and even safer as:-

1 - They handle a lot better than a Matiz

2 - Better designed inside and out

3 - Cheaper and more robust than a Matiz

I was really glad when my Skoda returned home.

Review Date: 22nd March, 2008

17th Aug 2013, 07:27

Always baffled why people who have only test driven a car, or had it forced upon them for a week's hire due to circumstances, feel that they are subsequently qualified to slag a car off!!?? Surely their judgement is clouded, and experience of the vehicle too short to make a truly valid judgement?

I value the reviews posted by people who have had a car for a sufficient length of time or driven sufficient miles in a car to sum up objectively the merits of both the vehicle and dealer back up - those are the ones which assist me in making informed buying choices.

18th Aug 2013, 07:04

To be fair, you can make your mind up about a car in a short space of time. I had the misfortune of driving a Matiz once for about an hour, and I concluded it was a poorly built, poor handling, slow piece of rubbish!

2005 Chevrolet Matiz SE 1.0 from UK and Ireland

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2005

Summary:

Unless the faults are sorted properly... DANGEROUS!

The speedo, petrol gauge and rev counter kept flicking back to zero, and the LED for the mileage and the clock read 88888. This can happen at any time while driving. Has been into the garage twice, but no fault found... surprise, surprise!!

Yesterday whilst driving in the rush hour, going round a roundabout, the car just cut out and stopped... no warning at all... VERY SCARY and VERY DANGEROUS... my husband will not let me drive it now, am waiting for Chevrolet to get in touch as the dealers were not interested... told me to get in touch with the AA. The car did restart, but was scary driving home.

General Comments:

Generally the car is OK, fuel consumption is OK... although have to be careful with the petrol - when the fuel warning light comes on, you only have about half a gallon left!!

Review Date: 11th March, 2006

13th Mar 2006, 10:01

Could be something very simple that the garage mechanics didn't check. Sounds to me like a loose battery connection - that would give exactly the symptoms you describe.

Don't be too hard on the car as it could be a very simple problem.

7th Nov 2007, 12:12

Never again will I buy, drive or own a MATIZ. These are seriously poor cars and for the money you can buy so many different cars, from more reliable manufacturers. Trade it in and buy a Kia, or something Japanese. I owned a matiz for two years and had nothing, but trouble and concerns.

19th May 2008, 17:31

A Kia?

By all means try a Toyota Yaris or a Honda Jazz. Forget Kia; they are second rate cars. Indeed, stick with Chevrolet if your budget does not allow you to move toward Toyota or Honda.

19th May 2008, 18:06

Actually Kias are pretty good cars these days. Look at the Cee'd and Procee'd. Chevy badges on Daewoos do not make them any better than if they had remained with their original branding.

21st May 2008, 14:39

Actually the reason why Chevrolet badges are on these cars is because General Motors purchased Daewoo in 2002 forming GMDAT - GMDaewoo Automotive Technologies. GM have invested considerably in the company and it now represents one of their most successful investments. The new Matiz, Lacetti, Captiva are all cars developed with and by General Motors.

When a company takes over another they are well within their rights to alter the branding of products. GM does not have overall control of the Daewoo name - that would have cost them $$$ - they would need to have purchased Daewoo Heavy Industries, Daewoo Electronics etc - that is why Daewoo became Chevrolet in Europe from Jan 2005 onwards.

24th Jul 2009, 03:39

I think the Chevrolet Matiz SE is a brilliant little car.

I have had 3 over the past 10 years trading in every 3 years when the warranty ran out.

I cannot afford to trade in this year owing to the recession and I plan to keep my little car for years to come.

17th May 2012, 04:14

Has anyone else had a problem with the catalytic converter? About 8 months ago I had the 'serious fault' light flash up, and the engine refused to start after it did. Luckily after a few goes it did start, I got it to a garage and they sorted the converter, but today the light has come back on!