2006 Chevrolet Optra 5 from North America - Comments

19th Apr 2013, 00:09

That is another fault with the Optra 5, 2006, which I too have. There is only one place to fill up the wiper washer fluid, in the front, to the right next to the battery. The problem is in the rear hatch that lifts up; in the top left corner, you will find that the connecting tubing turns at a ninety degree angle and then kinks, cutting off the supply to the rear wiper jet. Even my dealer did nothing. I fixed it myself, cutting out the kink, getting a right angle piece of brass tubing from the Canadian Tire plumbing section and joining the two - you might also have to extend the tubing with a straight piece connector as well. When my rear wiper jet stopped working, it showed up in the inside of the left car seat upholstery, soaked with washer fluid, which I then had to have shampooed.

10th Jul 2013, 15:39

I loved this car... when it was under warranty.

Here is a list of problems I have had with my 2006 Optra5 (purchased new in 2006):

1) Back wiper fluid no longer sprays (probably something to do with that comment above and kinking, who knows).

2) Computer system completely replaced just before the warranty ended... The car died in an intersection, no power at all and very unsafe.

3) Some leaking seal in the engine in the first few years I had it (not the head gasket... yet!)

4) Spider webs in the fuel system blocking air flow so I couldn't fill the gas tank with fuel... $250 to rip it all apart and tell me this, then clean it and put it all together again... Thanks GM for giving me nothing to stop this from happening again! (Heard this happened to another brand of car, they fixed it at no charge and put in a part to stop this recurring.)

5) Each year the gas consumption noticeably gets worse!!

6) Blew a speaker and the music is never that loud. Noticeable when the volume is up.

7) Brakes, complete replacement of the brake system. (I'm not sure, this is probably normal wear and tear?)

8) Manufacturer recalls on headlights/lamps.

9) Various check engine light problems that GM could never recover codes for, because they would always reset.

8) NEW PROBLEM TODAY at only 63,000 kms.. HEAD GASKET blown!!! $2,000+ to repair.

Now, to repair or to replace the entire vehicle??? That is the question.

Add another comment