1986 Chevrolet S-10 2.8L from North America

Summary:

Best money I ever spent!

Alternator went bad at 50,000. Bought one from Advance Auto with a lifetime replacement. Had to replace alternator again at 80k. Advance honored the lifetime warranty.

New driver's side door bushings.

General Comments:

Hands down the best car I have ever owned. Other than the alternator and door bushing, I have not spent a dime on it other than general maintenance.

The 4 wheel drive still works as good as the day I bought the truck. I have hardly ever had to use the 4wd; you can't get this truck stuck.

The bench seat has worn on the driver's side to the point that it needs replacing. I am considering a 94 model seat with cup holders.

Review Date: 24th February, 2010

1986 Chevrolet S-10 2.8L V6 TBI from North America

Summary:

Average compact pickup truck with some bugs, but altogether a reliable first-time driver vehicle

Alternator replaced 3 times.

Radiator.

Water pump.

Windows fall off track fairly often.

Front coil springs replaced.

Head seals had to be replaced.

There are several more repairs, but since I have owned the truck for 4 years I don't remember all of them.

General Comments:

I am the second owner of this 1986 Chevrolet S10 pickup truck.

The truck rides very rough. You feel every bump. I have installed new rims and tires mainly for looks, but also for functionality.

The engine has a good amount of torque for its size, but lacks in acceleration. I have pulled a heavy trailer before, and found the truck to haul decently.

Gas mileage averaged about 16 mpg until I replaced the spark plugs, and now I average around 20.

As far as comfort goes, it's a small truck. It's going to be uncomfortable. The truck did not come with power steering, so I added that, which made a huge improvement.

The steering wheel is rather close.

The radio was only AM until I bought a CD player.

I noticed a fair amount of performance increase with the addition of a Magnaflow exhaust system.

Transmission is a 4 speed manual, which kills my highway mileage for lack of an overdrive gear.

The clutch squeaks from time to time.

When it rains or the humidity is high, a constant squealing sound can be hear from under the hood.

I didn't expect to have as many trouble with the truck since it only had about 50k miles when I got it.

I do have to admit that I don't know too many 1986 Chevy's that are still running on the factory drive-train.

All in all it is a fairly reliable truck, it's easy to drive, and has a fair amount of power for a 2.8L. I would not buy another truck this small again though. It is way too cramped for me seeing how it is a standard cab.

Review Date: 21st March, 2008

1986 Chevrolet S-10 Tahoe 2.8L from North America

Summary:

If you don't have one, buy one

Well when I got it, had to do ball joints upper/lower and brakes. Exhaust already blew out after 4 hours of safety. That's about it.

General Comments:

Well I've been reading the other comments about these things, and they're all the same; not comfortable, slow acceleration, but they've got torque and will just keep on truckin'.

They are amazing little trucks. Since I owned my first one and my buddy drove it into a school bus, I wanted another one. You don't notice whether there's 500 lbs in the box or not, except cornering is real bad. Either way, dirt roads are fun, she'll snake the whole way.

I love this thing enough to have given it a name it truly deserves; THE INFILTRATOR. This truck truly does deserve to bear the Chevrolet logo. Its stance almost makes it look proud. Maybe my friends were right when they said I had a schizophrenic obsession with my truck, but that's fine.

Review Date: 11th October, 2006

1986 Chevrolet S-10 Tahoe 2.8 from North America

Summary:

A little tough guy

Fuel tank had a leak. Replaced. Fuel Pump was bad. Rusted fuel lines. Replaced wheel studs. This was known when I purchased the truck. Replaced entire exhaust system. I also have done the usual tune up.

General Comments:

Other than the listed probelems this truck is a trooper. It isn't the best looking thing on the road. Definately not a chick magnet, but it is a trooper!

I have had 1.5 yard of dirt in it and this thing refused to give up! I really didn't notice much lack in performance other than the obvious of having about 700 lbs of dirt in the box. I have hauled all sorts of heavy scrap metal in it. I hauled a full size refrigerator and a water heater along with many other articles of metal panning out to 900 lbs and this truck hauled it with NO PROBLEM!

I bought this truck for the total purpose of a daily beater and to keep miles off my car. In most cases I drive the truck more and more and RARELY drive the car. I purchased it for $400 and done about $550 in work to it panning out to about $1000 total.

It I worth every penny and I don't have to worry about people denting it. It is my ugly duckling that is a tough guy underneath.

I suggest buying one to anyone.

Review Date: 28th September, 2004