1986 Chevrolet S-10 2.5 four cylinder from North America

Summary:

This truck refuses to die

Right after buying the truck, I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and air filter. I used quality parts, but it still cost less than 100 dollars total.

I had to replace all four brakes, the disk up front and the drums on the rear wheels, at 205,000 miles. That bit of repair work cost me 176 dollars US.

The previous owner had recently replaced the alternator, battery, exhaust, and all four tires. Even with all that new hardware on it, I still managed to get the my S-10 for a grand total of 750 dollars US. It even came with a toolbox and a rubber bed mat.

The driver side of the bench seat is worn-out to the point where I have had to cover it with duct tape.

Both back corners of the cab have rusted through. The two holes are about the size of dimes.

There is a dent on the front drivers side fender from where I dropped the truck on its side in a ditch.

The heater and vents are broken, and the driver side window refuses to roll down. This is quite annoying at times.

General Comments:

I bought this S-10 from the man who originally purchased it new from the dealership. after 17 years and over 208000 miles, neither the engine nor the automatic transmission have ever been rebuilt or replaced. They are factory original.

The fuel-injected 2.5 four cylinder engine is a bit on the sluggish side, but I have noticed that my S-10 can still outperform the average new ford ranger.

This truck is tough! I dropped it onto its side in a roadside ditch while doing about 40 to 50 miles and hour. All it has to show for it is a fist sized dent on the front fender, and a slightly bent bumper. The tow truck pulled it out, and the engine started right up. The truck steers perfectly, and nothing has gone wrong with it since.

My S-10 handles surprisingly well in bad weather and on bad roads. I was expecting a lot worse considering the fact that it is a two wheel drive truck. It simply refused to bog down when driven over wet or soft ground.

My S-10 is the base price model, so it is lacking in amenities. it didn't come with A/C or tilt steering, and the locks and windows aren't powered. The only thing that really gets on my nerves however, is the lack of heat. I don't mind being cold, but I can't get my windshield to defog or defrost.

This truck is absolutely perfect for anyone who is needing a tough reliable truck, and doesn't mind putting up with a lack of amenities.

Review Date: 18th May, 2003

10th Jan 2010, 19:45

I have a 1988 S-10 2.5 118.000 miles, which runs great. I put a small camper top on it to haul my dog, he likes that too. Motor is in great shape. This truck will last longer than me.

1986 Chevrolet S-10 4X4 2/8L from North America

Summary:

It has been a true reliable friend to me for a long time now

I had some transmission problems about six years ago. The problem was slipping shifts. I had it fixed at my local mechanic for about four bills.

The A/C quit working due to a leak about two years ago and I haven't bothered to have it fixed yet.

General Comments:

Overall I can't complain about this vehicle. It always starts right up and it ready to go! It has been doing this for pretty much sixteen years now. I use it for all kinds of road travel and also hauling and heavy work around my property.

Review Date: 19th November, 2002