1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 4.6L from North America

Financially a good buy not for a bad winter driver

I bought this truck with 44K miles on it in 1998 and hate to part with it, but will have to soon. Very reliable though.

- 70,000 changed the rotors.

- 80,000 changed the radiator (not the Dexcool coolant, I hear this is common)

- Now at 156,000 I need upper ball joints, sway bar linkage, front brakes and rotors, drum breaks, and the oil is leaking and pressure is down to 40 from the usual 55-60 it always was.

General Comments:

Spent less money than most do on new cars and the insurance that goes with them.

Only complaints:

- Two wheel drive not good on hilly areas in the winter.

- Not impressed with breaking in the winter or wet conditions.

Review Date: 19th May, 2003

1996 Chevrolet S-10 2.43 L from North America

Good economy vehicle

The u-joints & brakes had to be replaced at 57,000 but I also have consistently had this vehicle overloaded.

The clutch is being replaced at 93,000 which is good for me as I am a little hard on clutches.

Paint has started to crack and lift on the roof, may be due to old unrepaired hail damage.

General Comments:

This has been a very reliable vehicle despite the repeated abuse that I have done to it. The cost of repairs have all been fairly reasonable. The exception being clutch which is requiring an additional $100 in labor due to the slave cylinder construction.

Review Date: 18th February, 2003

1996 Chevrolet S-10 2.2L 4 cylinder from North America

A dependable economy vehicle

Passenger side mirror has fallen off.

Levers to recline seats have fallen off.

Cloth seats have begun to tear.

Covers over the mirrors on the visors have fallen off.

Elastic document holder on visors have stretched out, rendering them completely useless.

A film has developed on the plastic that covers the gages, making them difficult to read.

The air conditioner compressor has quit working.

The spare tire restraint has broken.

General Comments:

We have had quite a few cosmetic problems with this vehicle. However, we have had very few major mechanical problems.

We have replaced the battery numerous times, but that is just a result of living in the desert. We have also had to replace the serpentine belt, the water pump and the pulley.

As I mentioned before, the air condition compressor no longer works. We have not considered replacing this due to cost.

The clutch will have to be replaced within the next month or so.

My greatest complaint, mechanically, about this vehicle is the brakes. We have had to replace them at the very least once a year for the past 6 years we've owned the vehicle.

This is a reliable economy vehicle and a great choice if you are looking for something dependable.

Review Date: 18th November, 2002

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2.2L 4 from North America

So far it is an OK truck

The first two years I owned it I replaced 3 computers, power steering pump, ignition switch, oil pressure sending unit. and now it rattles (transmission) when I release the clutch when at a stop.

General Comments:

This truck has no power, rides a little rough, at 65 mph the tacomitor reads 3000 rpm, that seems a bit high.

Other than that it seems to be a good strong truck.

Review Date: 8th November, 2002

6th Feb 2006, 12:14

Your transmission will probably need a throw-out bearing very soonIf you push in on the clutch and the rattling stops this is your problem. Fixing this problem is fairly simple and will not cost as much if you fix it before it completely breaks.

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2.2L 4 Cylinder from North America

A good project for beginners

Passenger side mirror fell off.

Dents in the tailgate.

Scratches on front air dam.

Small hole on driver's side seat.

Emergency flashers button broke, and had to replace the whole steering column.

Had to replace clutch.

General Comments:

Good stereo.

Alloy wheels.

Bucket seats.

No center console.

High performance for a 4 cylinder.

Working on fully customizing it.

Review Date: 6th October, 2002

17th Nov 2002, 01:56

I have on comment. It sounds to me like your p/u truck has been treated pretty rough, because scratches on the body and holes in the seats doesn't really have anything to do with the make of the vehicle. All of that depends on how well the vehicle is treated!

NOV 18th 2002