2003 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 Vortec 4.3 from North America

Summary:

Another piece of Chevy junk

I had the brake calipers on the rear replaced at 60,000 kms.

Ball joints replaced at 61,000 kms.

Wheel bearing replaced at 65,000 kms.

Universal joints replaced twice.

Catalytic converters plug at 110,000 kms.

Now the thing is running very poor, not idling, putting black smoke out of it, and no power.

General Comments:

The truck has never been abused, always taken care of.

Review Date: 1st February, 2009

2003 Chevrolet S-10 from North America

Summary:

Reliable vehicle with decent gas mileage

The steering column has gone out after 2 years of ownership... the manufacturer had to replace it.

The battery power kept getting drained because it wasn't installed correctly for three times in a row... the manufacturer had to fix this also.

One flat tire due to a nail in the road.

Plastic stripping around the front windshield melted in the sun... manufacturer had to replace.

General Comments:

This truck is a great vehicle for those fuel conscious and yet hard working people who need or want a truck.

Review Date: 19th August, 2008

2003 Chevrolet S-10 LS 4.3 from North America

Summary:

I like this vehicle this is the third s-10 I have owned and will gladly buy another

Replaced fan clutch 85000km.

General Comments:

Very reliable vehicle.

Good on gas for engine size/power.

Cab is a little noisy but very comfortable.

Review Date: 24th May, 2008

2003 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 V6 4.3 from North America

Summary:

Runs/drives perfect, but bad mpg

Gas mileage... that was it.

I'm a full time college student, on my own, and with a truck that I paid $12000 for, I just couldn't afford $60 a week in gas. I sold it because I was offered $13000, so you do the math.

I replaced the door hinges and the oil every 3k miles in the year I owned it.

General Comments:

The truck had amazing power and it looked great. I almost regret getting rid of it because it was a very reliable vehicle. IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUYING THIS TRUCK, JUST DO IT!!! The reviews speak for themselves.

Review Date: 13th May, 2008

2003 Chevrolet S-10 zr2 off road 4x4 4.3 V6 from North America

Summary:

Well worth the money

None it has been a very strong dependable truck.

General Comments:

The only flaws I have found with this truck is its poor arodinamics the tires throw road salt and dirt into the body and bed corners takeing the paint off.

Review Date: 21st December, 2007

2003 Chevrolet S-10 LS 4.3 from North America

Summary:

Never again will I Buy/Lease GM!

Where Do I Begin...

Jan 05/04 Block Heater blew the breaker in my garage (Dealer said there was something wrong with breaker) 4971KMS.

Jan 15/04 Block Heater kept blowing the breaker in my garage (Dealer tested and said something wrong with plug in in garage) 5123KMS.

Jan 11/05 Block Heater lit on fire after plugging in (Dealer found Block Heater leaking coolant on block heater cord causing it to short) 28,295KMS.

At the same time, Dealer talked me into having a Fall Check-Up done which ended up costing me $102.53 and all they did was an Oil Change.

April 21/05 Front Brakes (Rotors and Pads) needed replacing. NOT COVERED under Warranty! $275 32,675KMS.

Jan 23/06 Battery Replaced Under Warranty 53823KMS.

April 07/06 Rebuilt Drive Shaft, Replace 4 U Joint, 2 Ball Joints Replaced, Replaced Rear Transmission Output Seal, Replaced Rear Leaf Springs. All work done under warranty 60,374KMS.

October 18/06 Air Conditioning worked occasionally. In order to engage Air Conditioning I would have to rev my truck to 4000 RPM'S, then compressor would engage. (Dealer tested air, no problems) Returned to dealer 5 minutes after picking vehicle up with same problems. Problem fixed under warranty 73,494KMS.

November 20/06 All four new tires. $500 Walmart Special 75,219KMS.

Jan 16/07 Water pump repaired. Dealer also informed me my oil cooler lines are leaking. Water pump covered, Oil Lines are NOT, quoted $400 for repair. 79,924KMS.

General Comments:

Ahhhh, finally I got through all the problems.

Pros:

-Well, the truck had a box to haul stuff...

-4.3L engine had enough power, sometimes to much.

-After-market Command start I had installed, Highly recommended.

Cons:

- Gas mileage 13-17MPG including highway driving.

- Headlights seem to eat bulbs, 3rd set of headlight bulbs.

- 3rd Seat is useless.

- 3rd Door does nothing, but rattle.

- Seats are not comfortable.

- GM Dealers are terrible to deal with.

- Reliability for a brand new vehicle.

All in all, I am not satisfied with the truck or GM for that matter. My sister had leased the same truck, at around the same time and had nothing, but problems with hers.

I am starting to think GM treats there customers as if they were bad dreams, close there eyes and hope they go away, Well, you win!!! I AM NOT COMING BACK!!!

Review Date: 22nd January, 2007

15th Aug 2007, 06:46

A lot of the problems described here are normal and common sense.

Brakes are never a warranted issue.

Block heaters are great if taken care of.

After getting into the cooling system, you should check fluids daily to make sure no leaks are present; not go to dealer to complain.

All cars & trucks with the 4 disc systems seem to go through the rear pads faster than the front, but the brake power you have is worth it; way better than the drums of before.

I would go to some classes to get better knowledge about trucks & cars so you would understand machines better.

I wheel my 01 ZR2 Blazer and maintain it; I have a blast.

All things have their limits, just enjoy & take a preventive look at things, and you will be better off..

18th May 2008, 10:51

This owner sounds so ridiculous. "what things have gone wrong with the truck"= uhhhhh my garage had has a bad breaker...???

I agree with the guy above, you need to learn more about cars/trucks. Too many people have the mind set that you get in a car everyday put gas in it and you should never have problems. Well engine systems and tranny systems are very complex and need MAINTENANCE! All manufacturers have problems. Not long ago I was pulling out of my driveway and a New Mercedes was broken down in the middle of the street. I had to help them push it to the top of the street. Owner say its the 3rd alternator. I love Chevys all my family buy GM and we love em. You get exactly what you put into them. Treat em well!

26th Jun 2009, 07:33

Bought my 03 S10 new and now have 121,000km/75600mi and have nothing but great luck. Have replaced a few minor maintenance items but nothing serious. Getting 22 mpg city and 28 hwy with the 4.3 engine. What is there to complain about. Like the others said, you get out what you put in. Spend a few bucks on regular maintenance and you won't have any problems. Quit complaining.

12th Jul 2009, 21:16

I have a 2003 S10.. works great still with 90,000 miles!

10th Jan 2011, 00:40

Well you guys seem to be impressed by your GM having like 90,000 miles.

I'll tell you what I have: 4 Ford Rangers; 1988; 1993; 1999 and 2010. The 88 has 215,000 miles, the 93 has 425,000 miles and the 99 has 295,000 miles and I can hook up to any S10 and pull them all day long.

So I think that's better than your GMs!