2005 Chevrolet Silverado Reviews

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2005
Engine and transmission 5.3L V8 Automatic
Previous carToyota 4Runner

Summary:

Not worth the $39K!!!

First problem, which started at about 5k miles, was a knocking noise in the front end. Knocking would occur when making tight turns and hitting bumps in the road. Took it in and they "fixed" it. Problem started occurring again in the last 3 months or so. The dealer told me it is a "defect." This makes me wonder how much it will cost to have it fixed when the warranty runs out.

The memory seats seem to have a case of alzheimers and tend to forget where they were set. Apparently the only memory they have is to send me into the dashboard at an attempt to break my legs ala "Christine."

The transmission has begun to slip and goes from slipping to being jerky. Cause unknown...

The cigarette lighter plug decided to give up the other day and does not work.

Auto dimming rearview mirror seems to be in cahoots with the memory seats as they brighten and dim on a whim.

Already needs new tires all around. The tires sold with the truck (brand-new) are crap...

General Comments:

I bought this truck brand new in 2005. It is rarely driven because I have a company car that I drive to work and back with. The truck is driven mainly for pleasure and all the miles are highway. It is very comfortable inside and has all the bells and whistles. But quality is lacking!!

For having so few miles and being well taken care of it's a shop queen. I dread the day the warranty expires!!

Review Date: 27th July, 2007

8th Aug 2008, 08:44

I have the same truck and had the same transmission issue. At 58k mile it went completely out. The issue was the transmission cooler is in the radiator and had gotten (somehow?) a hairline crack in it and mixed the tranny fluid and antifreeze so I had antifreeze in my transmission. It was out of warranty but Chevrolet covered the cost. Now 2k miles later back in to have valve body replaced for a shutter at 45-50mph and they were very cautious about fluid in transmission case again. Seems like this may be a major issue. I applaud Chevrolet for taking care of the cost and giving me a 100k warranty on transmission but would rather not have to keep dealing with.

2005 Chevrolet Silverado LS 4.8 from North America

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2005
Previous carToyota Tundra

Summary:

The Silverado is a good, strong, high value truck

Nothing wrong!

General Comments:

The Silverado is very well made: strong structure and refined, efficient V8 engine.

I was concerned about trading my Toyota which served me well, but the Silverado does some things better. First off, the price was MUCH better!

Even though the Silverado is heavier and stronger overall, its gas mileage is best in its category. Seems that the push-rod V8 uses fuel more efficiently. The engine is well proven.

Ride is smooth. Seats are VERY comfortable. The interior is rather spartan, but I rather like the simple appearance and easy of keeping it clean. I did not buy a truck to be a luxury car.

Handling is quite good and the comfort level is very high overall. The level of quietness is surprising!

Transmission shifts smoothly and smartly. Mechanicals work well. Others I know have gone well over 100k miles with very little problems, even some friends who are not known for taking good care of their vehicles.

All things considered, the Silverado appears to be a very good value. Possibly that is why there are so many on the road.

Review Date: 10th October, 2005

11th Mar 2006, 20:46

I used to own an 2006 Silverado 1500 crew cab and the truck was OK. However the interior was extremely cheap and it looked like something from 1996 instead of 2006. I traded the truck in for a Nissan Titan Crew Cab which is a much better truck.

12th Mar 2006, 07:44

Use to own a 2006 Silverado? You must of really taken a beating at trade in. I have a 2004 Silverado which is great... I recently added the Borla Catback exhaust. If I were to trade as you did for another manufacturer I would go with the Honda Ridgeline. I would give up my car and have one vehicle that does it all. But the reviewer prior is on target. The Silverado is an excellent dependable truck which I would reccomend highly.