2001 Chevrolet Tahoe Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4x4 5.3 V8 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 5.3 V8 Automatic
Previous carVolvo S60

Summary:

I regret trading it more than any I have ever traded

4x4 transfer case was a nightmare! The day we purchased it, we went out to the Chevy dealer to leave with it, and service 4x4 came on. Dealer said bring it back, no problem. Dealer "fixed" it... no they didn't. At the time I worked by a large open field and 4x4 was not engaging. Took it back and they had it for 2 weeks. They "fixed" it again... no they didn't. I spent $100 being towed out of the sand in Pismo.

Made a horrible "clunk" when shifted to reverse.

Very easily knocked out of alignment. I went over a curb with my boat and it knocked my front end out of alignment.

Brake control went out. Never affected my braking ability, but an annoying light was always on. Chevy has a real problem with this in all of their trucks/SUVs (my 01 2500 did this, my 09 Silverado and my 04 Suburban do this sometimes). It was recalled on the 01, but only the salt belt states.

General Comments:

I LOVED my Tahoe. It was bought with 45k, and had 155k when I traded it. I decided to trade it after a Vegas trip with a rented Mazda 3. I loved the Mazda 3 and decided that I didn't need a big car with just one child. Traded my beloved Tahoe on a 2006 Accord (don't get me started), and we traded our 01 2500 with the 8.1 ltr at the same time on our 09 Silverado. I took the Silverado from my husband after about 3 months.

My Tahoe was incredibly safe! I blew my front driver tire at 85mph and still had great control of the vehicle, and no one including my 4 month old daughter was even jarred.

Its towing capacity is excellent. I have towed my dad's monster 34ft trailer easily. Trust me, it worked the engine a little but still did amazing. I was able to tow our 21ft trailer with ease at 80mph, which resulted in a nice ticket.

To date we have had 4 black Silverados, 1 Tahoe, and I just recently purchased an 04 LT Suburban last week. I work for a Ford mechanic, so I see the problems with EGR valves, turbos and other things. I won't own a Ford personally. I am very pleased with GM products; as with anything, take care of it and it takes care of you.

Trading this was my biggest regret. I have traded and sold more cars than I care to admit; my husband wishes I would get a less expensive habit. When I traded my Tahoe for the Accord, within 3 months I missed it horribly. Our 09 Silverado held me over for a while, but there is no quality or reliability of the early 00's Chevy trucks and SUVs. I will keep my Suburban for a very long time, or until the guys at the shop can no longer fix things. If you're considering one, do it!

Review Date: 4th March, 2014

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LST from North America

Year of manufacture2001

Summary:

A well built truck

Nothing went wrong, just regular maintenance.

General Comments:

I drove this for work, drove it through corn fields and along 25 mile dirt roads in Nebraska regularly. Never made a squeak, always strong.

Had some kind of self adjusting suspension that would dampen the ride (same as Cadillac); it was like sitting on the living room couch.

Review Date: 8th November, 2010

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 5.3L from North America

Engine and transmission 5.3L Automatic

Summary:

Our Tahoe has been a pretty good car

For the most part, my 2001 LS Tahoe has been great. It has always been in the garage, and it's in great condition. I really only have a couple complaints.

I have had the steering column linkage grease twice (about every 35k miles). It will make a clinking noise when you turn, but the GM kit will fix the problem. My gas mileage has never been better than 14-15 mpg, even on long highway trips. We bought a 2WD thinking it would get closer to the 18-19.

I am now having a coolant leak problem that most 5.3L seem to get over time. Not sure if it is the water pump of the intake gasket problem. Time to take her in for a $1000 in repairs.

Also, do not buy the Fortera tires from Goodyear. They claim 60k miles, but you will be lucky to get 30. They ride great and reduce noise, but very expensive for the mileage you get out of them. I am on my second set and they are about gone.

General Comments:

This is a very comfortable car. We bought it new, and now it is just a 3rd car for trips and when we need to haul 7 people or the dog. 3rd row seat is nice to have.

Gas mileage is awful, but to be expected.

I wish the front passenger had more leg room. Seems cramped for a big car.

Review Date: 13th December, 2009