2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 5.3L from North America

Summary:

Our Tahoe has been a pretty good car

For the most part, my 2001 LS Tahoe has been great. It has always been in the garage, and it's in great condition. I really only have a couple complaints.

I have had the steering column linkage grease twice (about every 35k miles). It will make a clinking noise when you turn, but the GM kit will fix the problem. My gas mileage has never been better than 14-15 mpg, even on long highway trips. We bought a 2WD thinking it would get closer to the 18-19.

I am now having a coolant leak problem that most 5.3L seem to get over time. Not sure if it is the water pump of the intake gasket problem. Time to take her in for a $1000 in repairs.

Also, do not buy the Fortera tires from Goodyear. They claim 60k miles, but you will be lucky to get 30. They ride great and reduce noise, but very expensive for the mileage you get out of them. I am on my second set and they are about gone.

General Comments:

This is a very comfortable car. We bought it new, and now it is just a 3rd car for trips and when we need to haul 7 people or the dog. 3rd row seat is nice to have.

Gas mileage is awful, but to be expected.

I wish the front passenger had more leg room. Seems cramped for a big car.

Review Date: 13th December, 2009

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LT V6 from North America

Summary:

Reliable comfy car, but costs a ton in gas

So far only minor things. The push lock on the driver's side door broke off so now it has to be locked from the passenger side door, the piece of plastic under the front bumper (I think it's a scrape guard or something) started to come off and drag under the car so we had to pull that completely off, and the leather on the driver side is falling apart, but besides that nothing.

General Comments:

This car sucks gas like no other.

It's kind of noisy and jerky, doesn't drive too smoothly but that might also be because I was in a wreck, which messed up my alignment but I already had that fixed.

Very roomy, has plenty of space for passengers and luggage.

Very comfortable for taking trips.

Very reliable, haven't had any major problems yet.

Review Date: 14th July, 2008

8th Mar 2010, 11:47

You know I always get a chuckle out of SUV drivers who complain about their gas mileage. What did you expect when you bought this monster? 25/30 mpg??? Next time when you want to complain about your gas mileage, be realistic with regards to the type of vehicle you are driving!

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 5.3L from North America

Summary:

The best SUV out there

Nothing.

General Comments:

This is my car number 16 and is the best.

I've owned many cars and SUVs, but this one is hands down the best. For the year of the truck it has held up extremely good. It is very comfortable and is great for vacations. I got 17.5 mpg (usually get 15 mpg) on a trip I just took to Williamsburg, VA. It also seems to be the perfect size for everything I can throw at it. It also handles as good as some cars and does feel as big as it actually is. Mine has the autoride option which is nice. The 5.3L engine has plenty of power and the 4x4 system works great. I plan to keep this truck until the wheels fall off.

Review Date: 29th June, 2007

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 5.3L V8 from North America

Summary:

A solid dependable vehicle that presents well

No faults.

General Comments:

Great SUV, plenty of room inside for the family to sit comfortably.

With 4 wheel disc brakes it has great stopping power for towing, and the 5.3L motor seems to have more than enough power to tow whatever you could possibly want. I overloaded the factory receiver hitch with a forklift that weighs 14,000# and an equipment trailer that weighs a couple thousand, and this SUV drug it down the road in stellar fashion.

Does great in the snow, as well as on the freeway.

Review Date: 12th February, 2007