1999 Chevrolet Tracker Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2.0 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2013
Previous carChevrolet Tracker

Summary:

Good, dependable, economical vehicle!

Replaced the alternator in 2011.

Replaced the original timing chains in 2013 - 160,000 miles, still looked good, but some slackness.

Replacing the detent cable at the dealer in 2013 - the cable is a known issue, it corrodes and breaks. Costly repair, probably about $500-$800.

General Comments:

This is my 2nd Tracker, & 100% better than the first one. Not a lot of speed, but I can do 80 easily on the highway.

It's economical, and easy to park. 160,000 miles, and still has a lot of original parts in the engine. Still a good little runner!

Review Date: 27th May, 2013

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2.0 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Impala

Summary:

Solid, economical, and fun to drive

I have had this mini SUV since April, and the great thing about this is it was given to me.

Previous owner had taken excellent care of it, using it to tow behind his RV. Nothing has gone wrong with this vehicle since I've had it. I've changed the oil three times and had the two belts replaced.

General Comments:

The 2.0 engine is adequate, 25 mpg, and plenty of space inside especially with the two rear seats folded down.

I do a lot of local and area driving, and this vehicle is great for that, however I would not drive it on long trips, the seats although decent would be hard to sit in for a long trip of say 500 miles or so.

Review Date: 22nd September, 2008

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2.0L I-4 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0L I-4 Automatic
Distance when acquired112000 miles

Summary:

Great Little Car!

Front bearing went bad. (prior problem, pot hole?)

General Comments:

This has been driving me crazy. I have read many reviews about the Chevy Tracker (years: 1999-2004), and many of them are very disappointing. Not about the car, but about the reviewers. OK, lets get started with the basics. The Tracker is REAR wheel drive and has the capability of FOUR wheel drive. In bad weather such as snow mud anything like that or when off road, FOUR wheel drive should be used. It should not be used in rain, because the transfer case is not designed to grip asphalt all of the time. This means that when it is raining out, like in ALL rear wheel drive vehicles, you should take your time, there is no rush. Both the two door and four door models have a short wheelbase which will give a harder ride, and may cause the vehicle to be top heavy at times. From my experience with the vehicle, the frame sits low to the ground and from other reviews it handles better than the original tracker. The 1999-2004 models have a wider wheel base, are longer and are designed to handle better. The Tracker was designed to drive OFF road, Chevy makes a wide variety of aftermarket parts for use off road for the Tracker. Being that this vehicle is built for off road it is going to have a high stance (8” minimum ground clearance from frame I believe), a Ladder frame, Coil Suspension, and Short Wheel base’s are better for off road sometimes.

OK, the Tracker was not built to out run a Lambo, or anything really, it was built to get you from point a to point b and if you want to go off road, not to race. I believe the 0-60 is 11.5 seconds for the I-4 (inline four) engine that is in the vehicle. It is not the best time for a 0-60, but hey is pretty good, some do it in 13, so be happy with it. Also, it is not meant to corner, it has a high stance and a short wheel base, don’t try it especially in wet weather.

On windy days near open fields the Tracker will move a little bit on the road, just like any other car, but maybe a little more. The Tracker weighs about 2,650lbs, that’s pretty light and it’s a box, so ya its going to get pushed around by the wind. This means that all you have to do is keep both hands on the wheel, not one on the wheel, and one on the phone, its not safe in any condition.

In my opinion, the Tracker is a GREAT vehicle. I have owned it for a couple years now and I love it! Mine is 2WD (rear wheel drive only) and its really a great vehicle it gets me to where I am going. Now don’t get me wrong I want a little more from anything I drive, and since it's not four wheel drive I tried my best to work with what I have. My Tracker is currently lowered 2-3” with H&R Lowering Coils, has KYB GR2 Shocks and Struts, Bridgestone insignia tires, Tranny Cooler, Intake (SPS cut and chopped) with K&N filter, along with a Mufflex exhaust with a Flowmaster muffler. It has a lot more done to it, such as a sound system and more, but I’m always working on it as my hobby, I’m NOT repairing it, I’m adding to it. As you might be able to tell, I have seen almost every part of my Tracker, so take my word, once you get it you will probably like it, just Drive Safe.

Review Date: 13th April, 2008