1987 Chevrolet Van Reviews

Model year1987
Year of manufacture1987
Engine and transmission 305 T.B.I. Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Blazer

Summary:

It gets noticed in the camp grounds!

All of these items were replaced in the first three months of owning. In tank fuel pump went out. Starter gave out. Alternator quit charging. Installed custom 160 amp alternator. Belt was cracked. Belt tensioner was bad. Had bad vibration during take off. Found carrier bearing bad. Had cheap brake pads and shoes that were worn out on van. Performed induction flush / clean. Drained and refilled differential. Drained / flushed transmission and replaced filter. Replaced all ignition parts. Replaced thermostat and both radiator hoses. Flushed cooling system. Replaced clogged exhaust from "Y" pipe back with 3" pipe. Deleted cat. Installed dual flow masters and 18" chrome tips to bumper. Heavy duty "soft ride" shocks all around.

General Comments:

I'm the second owner of his van. It spent most all of it's life in a barn in north Tennessee. Everything works inside and out on this conversion, right down to the original R-12 A/C. It's never been smoked in, and the interior looks mint condition. No dents, rust or leaks what so ever.I've taken several long distance trips with it. This tank gets around 28 m.p.g at 85 to 95 m.p.h. on the highway. Around town going light to light It drinks fuel like a big block race car though.

Review Date: 31st August, 2007

13th Apr 2012, 01:09

28 MPG. Really? I just inherited a 1987 G20 Cargo van with 70K original miles. If you're right, that's the best news I've heard all year. I was told to expect closer to 12 MPG. I would love to be wrong.

15th Oct 2012, 21:02

12 MPG or so is about right. I have one in top mechanical condition, and have only gotten 14.2 as a best MPG. And the factory states 17 as the best, and they are usually optimistic.

1987 Chevrolet Van 20 V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1987
First year of ownership1995
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission V8 Automatic
Most recent distance200000 miles
Previous carFord Thunderbird

Summary:

This car will not die!

The air conditioning has gone out.

The power windows are dying.

We've had new brakes.

The key lock mechanism was replaced.

There may have been other minor repairs, but I don't recall them.

General Comments:

This car is a gas hog, but it is almost maintenance-free. It has the original transmission. It has outlived many other family cars, including 2 Civics. The mechanic said he would not be surprised if it clocked another 100,000 miles.

Review Date: 4th August, 2002

13th Apr 2005, 10:08

I just purchased a 1987 G20 with 34,000 miles on it and am getting 16-17mpg with a 305 V8 throttle body. I am very happy with it and consider it a simple to repair and reliable vehicle.

4th Sep 2006, 02:07

I have had my Chevy cargo van 20 series for about 20 years now and I have had to do almost nothing to it it has gone a little over 300,000 miles and still drives like a dream. If you want to ask me any questions email me at italiapride753@netzero.net.

PS..this van will never die!

9th Oct 2011, 15:42

Don't doubt 26 on highway at 60-65 miles an hour, but no way 20 mpg city!!! Mechanic for 30 years and worked on many of these!

Rick.

27th Nov 2011, 17:11

Wow. That is some good mileage. I drive my van mostly all highway. At 60mph I get about 18 mpg.

How can I get the kind of mileage that you claim? I have the big engine and have 89000 miles on it, and service the van regularly!