1990 Chevrolet Van G-20 Cargo 350 5.7L from North America

Summary:

Loads of power / loads of problems!

Electrical problems of all sorts: turn signals wouldn't work.

All indicators and functions light up all the time on the dash. Both turn indicators constantly lit. Headlight indicator stays on.

Intermittent wipers erratic and slow.

Wiring inside multi-function lever (turn signal) overheats and started to smoke.

Short in wiring from radio to speaker.

Blower motor intermittent.

Washer pump weak.

Several problems with anti-lock brakes.

Occasional hard starting and very rough idle.

Almost constant exhaust steam year 'round.

Takes forever to warm up in winter.

General Comments:

In spite of all the problems, this van is a real powerful and smooth rider.

I would rather drive this cross country than my old Caprice.

The seats are well contoured and provide the right support.

Is there anyone with a GM vehicle that doesn't have pulse windshield wiper problems???

Review Date: 8th September, 2003

28th Mar 2004, 00:27

I have an 1990 Chev G20 conversion van that has about 190,000 km on it. I have had absolutely no electrical problems. The front end and the heads seam to be a weak spots on these. This last summer I rebuilt the motor because the heads were cracked, and I was burning about a liter of oil every 150 km. I put an R.V. cam in, and flat head pistons. What a difference in performance, and fuel economy, now I get about 24 mpg.

7th Sep 2004, 22:34

Hi there, I have a '78 Caprice that had the pulse-wiper/washer system. It wasn't working when I bought the car, and they can be a pain to get working right. My fix was to install a regular washer pump motor on the inner fender, and run the rubber tubing to and from that, by-passing the pulse system, and connecting the washer wiring to the pump. Just make sure the hoses and wiring are installed the proper way, or it will run back-wards. The washer should then work like in a normal system. It works great for me.

18th Jan 2008, 18:27

I own a nice 1990 G20 High Top Dealer Choice 1233 Conversion... do not believe anti lock brakes were actually avail til 1993. Mine only has 77,000 miles 350 V8 now has a new radiator, front discs rotors, one new battery have 2 batteries switched, new starter. Beautiful woodwork, seating power bed etc, the Color TV, Nintendo, VCR has to go the only real complaint and I am planning some better update with new LCD, DVD. I think GM has the best styling and especially like the Mulberry Rosewood Black Grey paint combination on my conversion. Great towing vehicle with factory trailing package and the kids love this vehicle. I also own a new GM 4wd SUV easier to drive and also great, but this is the best on a real trip. The gas mileage is equivalent and the 33 gallon tank is an eye shocker to fill but worth it for quality family trips. These are very dependable vehicles and mine is barely broke in.

1990 Chevrolet Van Lumina A.P.V. 3.1 Gas from North America

Summary:

A good bargain, worth the money

Had to replace two Alternators.

Had to replace water pump.

Replaced Heater core.

Passenger and driver side door handles broke, (outside).

Factory stereo system was low grade.

General Comments:

Despite a few problems with the van, it still was very dependable.

Gas mileage was 24+ miles per gallon on average.

Plenty of power for acceleration and passing, handles great even in bad weather.

Comfortable interior and excellent vision all around.

Review Date: 7th June, 2002

1990 Chevrolet Van G20 conversion 5.7L 350 from North America

Summary:

Nice reliable vehicle, comfortable..

There are a couple of rust spots, other than that nothing.

General Comments:

Really comfortable. I'm not used to driving vans, but this is great. I feel safe, and driving can't be any more comfortable. Not to mention the TV and VCR keeps the 3 year old VERY quiet! I can't wait to go camping in it!

Review Date: 20th April, 2002

8th Mar 2011, 14:22

Yes, I had one of these vans and it was great. It is an extremely reliable vehicle for my son and his three small children. They have taken their van to Georgia and Florida with no problems at all. The only downfall is that as expected, they are not very fuel efficient. But the comfort and reliability make up for the large amount of gas usage.