1988 Chrysler New Yorker Reviews - Page 2 of 2

1988 Chrysler New Yorker Landau Mark Cross 3.0 from North America

First year of ownership1994
Previous carChrysler LeBaron

Summary:

For the $6000 Canadian we paid for it ten years ago, this car has been a real bargain

Cyl heads were replaced under warranty just before I got the car.

The cyl heads went bad again at about 180,000 Km. (The valve guides wore out)

The water pump failed around 170,000 Km.

The transmission got noisy around 200,000 km and was replaced.

When the guides went bad, the catalytic converter needed to be replaced to pass E-Test.

The power antenna has been replaced and is non-functional again.

In the last 10 years the brake linings have been replaced twice, rotors once, and rear cyls once.

The car has used up 3 sets of tires in 10 years.

I have rplaced the battery twice, and alternator once.

The oil pan has been replaced due to a leak.

The gas tank has been replaced due to a leak.

The "body computer" was replaced when the compass stopped working at about 150,000 Km (13 years)

The car has been in 2 minor collisions.

General Comments:

This car has been a very comfortable ride.

The car has been quite reliable - and has never let us down.

The body and interior still look almost like new.

Currently it uses less than a liter of oil between 5000km changes.

The car is pretty reasonable in fuel consumption - around 11 liters per 100km in town, as good as 8.5 on the highway.

The car would be better on the highway with the 4 speed automatic, but the 3 speed is generally more reliable and durable.

Review Date: 19th August, 2004

1988 Chrysler New Yorker V6 Mitsubishi from North America

First year of ownership1988
Most recent year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission V6 Mitsubishi Automatic
Previous carChrysler LeBaron

Summary:

Good, reliable and comfortable

Mysterious shutdown two months after purchase. After a few minutes, it restarted and never reoccurred.

For the first 50,000 miles, the engine would "stutter" at cruising speed. Dealer could find nothing wrong even though mechanic drove the car and experienced the problem. Their recommendation--use premium gas. The factory supplied spark plugs were incorrect, but the correct replacement plugs did not help.

A Haynes manual provided me the fuel pressure data. When I checked it, it was 25 pounds low. A new fuel pressure regulator solved the "stutter" problem.

So much for dealer service.

The car got excellent mileage, was comfortable and would cruise easily at turnpike speeds.

At 125,000 miles, oil consumption began to increase and by 150,000 it was atrocious. The valve guides had failed.

General Comments:

I'd buy another one, but I'd rather have the 4.0 liter Jeep engine in it.

Review Date: 5th February, 2004

29th Aug 2008, 13:47

I had a similar experience with mine.

1988 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue 5.2L V8 318cui 145 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 5.2L V8 318cui 145 Automatic
Most recent distance152000 kilometres
Previous carMercury Cougar

Rattle pin on the rear brakes, small problems with older cars.

Slight spark knock in the engine, due to carbon build-up

General Comments:

Great car, in 2 years I put a load of kilometers on it due to a fairly regular 400km commute 4 times a week last year.

Runs like a clock and cruises good on the highway. Quick enough for my tastes, once you're over 60km/h, this is due to A LOT of carbon built up in the engine.

On a side note you can scare the hell out of people coming out of bars at night (inside joke).

Review Date: 31st October, 2000

3rd Jan 2001, 06:54

I have a 1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue with the 318 V-8 heavy duty engine, according to the VIN#, it has a one barrel carburetor.

I am the 3rd owner and the last tag on the vehicle was 1995, it was garage stored after that year. The original owner drove the car for 26,000 and the 2nd for 6,000, I now have 34,000 actual miles.

I am responding to the survey about the spark knock. After obtaining the vehicle I did a complete tune-up on the engine, I noticed the spark knock when driving the car. I installed new spark plug wires, changed the A/C spark plugs to Champion plugs which should be used in all Mopar products especially muscle cars. Changed the distributor cap, rotor button and set the timing to the book settings. I still had the spark knock.

I tried several cleaners for removing carbon build-up and several grades of fuel at different companies. Did not remove the spark knock.

I decided to try an Enmark grade of fuel at 93 octane, due to them having a 7 cents reduction on the price every Tuesday. After fueling the car I drove it to the expressway and opened her up to 75 mph. From the time I exited off the on-ramp onto the highway the spark knock was gone and have not since had the problem again.

I am enjoying the ride and the auto is extremely comfortable.

Steve Sellers @ Albany Georgia.

3rd Aug 2004, 14:30

Great Car. This is my second one. Right now it cuts out every so often. It was really bad; The motor would stop before I could make it out of the driveway. Had it towed to a shop. A new battery seems to help a LOT. But it is cutting out on the repairmen. Do you think it could be a computer chip???