1988 Chrysler New Yorker Landau 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

A steal of a deal!

Coolant leak at block, power steering pump went out, A/C died and it needed a new cat. Total= $1400 at the shop. Well worth the expense in my book.

With only 59000 miles on it, I hope to get several solid years out of it.

General Comments:

As soon as I purchased the car and hit the freeway I was in love. All I have to say is it floats like a boat. Love it!

The interior has the Mark Cross leather and shows very little wear and all the electronics work great. This '88 has way more comfort than the '06 Expedition I used to drive.

Review Date: 28th October, 2009

1988 Chrysler New Yorker Landau Brogham 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Great car for the price

Engine-wise, the only real problem I had with it was valve guides wearing out. It had new heads on it under warranty when I got it, and about 80,000km later I had to have them rebuilt again due to oil consumption - which damaged the catalytic converter.

The car was hard on universal joint rubbers - replaced at least 6 times.

I replaced the brakes 3 or 4 times.

The transmission went bad at about 200,000km. It was the 3 speed, and the differential bearings went bad, putting filings through the whole system. I was lucky and got a good low mileage transmission cheap.

The AC condenser leaked. I replaced it.

The AC evaporator leaked. I replaced it.

An AC hose leaked. I replaced it.

The AC compressor failed.

The heater motor quit - I put in new brushes and it was fine.

The air adjustable suspension quit. The compressor failed so I took it off and put in CargoCoil springs.

Water pump went bad.

The water tube from the pump to the rad that goes under the intake manifikd went bad - miserable to replace.

Alternator quit. New brushes and bearings fixed it first time. Went bad again several years later and I put on a used one.

The engine pulley came off and damaged the crank snout. I repaired it with LocTite shaft and bearing mount.

General Comments:

It was a great car with the exception of the Mitsubishi engine. Very comfortable, and not too expensive to maintain overall. I paid $6000 for it and drove it 140,000km and still got a good dollar for it when I sold it.

Review Date: 15th March, 2008

24th Oct 2012, 23:00

I bought an 88 New Yorker two years ago. It had 140K original miles. I paid 800.00.

I have put on new tires, shocks, CV shafts, brakes, discs, brake hoses, timing belt, new rear main seals, and now I am working on my transmission. I have replaced all the seals, clutches, steel plates, bearings in the differential, and hope I can get it to run like new again.

Great car. Not great on economy. Bad for leaks.

I also changed valve cover and valve cover gasket.

The electric window on the driver's side quit working. What can you expect, it's an American car. The engineers think it's better to build a car to break in few years, to keep making money, VS the Japanese cars; they build cars for one to die first, before the car.

1988 Chrysler New Yorker Landau, Mark Cross 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Nicest car of it's kind I've ever seen

Well I just lucked out and got this car at an auction, when I got it home and really inspected it the front right boot on the CV joint needs to be replaced.

The Automatic antenna doesn't work anymore.

The digital compass isn't very accurate.

The Automatic door locks don't work in on back door.

General Comments:

It's an amazingly comfortable and luxurious car, it has the full leather interior which is still in mint condition.

There's power everything, doors, seats, windows, trunk.

This car has more fancy electronics than I knew existed in 88', gas mileage, distance until fuel is empty, outside temperature, two headphone jacks in the back seat with volume control, opera lights in back seat.

I was amazed and impressed last weekend when I pulled up beside a done up Civic with five people in my car and blew the doors off him.

Review Date: 5th May, 2005

11th May 2006, 05:09

The mid-sized New Yorker is actually a pretty light car, and the 3.0 DOHC engine will move it a hurry if you tromp on the peddle. It'd stop on a dime, too, again due to the light weight, and all-wheel disc-brakes. I owned one once, and it had the most comfortable crush-velure seats I've ever sat in -- you sank in them all the way to China.

Be careful gunning that motor, however; unlike the v8s, you can break it.