1977 Chrysler Newport from North America

Summary:

1977 Chrysler Newport out of Missouri

The problems I have had with my Chrysler, is that it has over heated twice. Because of the hoses. But that is the only problem that has acquired since I have had it. I have made some changes. The driver seat does get worn out, and the steering wheel lock has disappeared.

General Comments:

It's a great first car, people may make fun of it. But they won't ever own a classic car like this. I'm one of the lucky people that has the chance to enjoy a car from the past.

Review Date: 5th May, 2004

30th Dec 2004, 09:25

Talk about putting a positive spin on having to drive a 27 year old car!

27th Nov 2005, 18:19

You don't see a lot of the 1974-78 Chrysler Newport's on the road anymore, I'm a big fan of the luxury cruisers of the 60's and 70's and I still wish that they made cars this good today, last spring I saw a mid 70's (approximately a 1975 model) Chrysler Newport on sale for $800, the body was in good shape and it didn't have a lot of rust on it and the insides of the car was beautiful, at least that the mid 70's Newport's aren't as rare as the 1979-81 Newport's, my heart will always go to the classic beauties of the 60's/70's.

3rd May 2010, 02:24

Where did you get this car. Because I had one for my first car. I rebuilt it with my grandpa. I looking to get it back. This is why I'm asking? please email me back at s.williams128@gmail.com

3rd May 2010, 19:12

925 I get the same positive spin when I drive my even older Corvette. You should try it and enjoy them.

1977 Chrysler Newport 400 cid from North America

Summary:

This car is fun to drive!

The sole "blemish" on this car is that the right rear door pull is discolored (I have not been able to locate a replacement or a vinyl paint to refurbish it). It needs a new chronometer as the brass bushing has become oval rather than circular, allowing the shaft to shift away from the gear (I am seeking someone who can repair it, or replace it).

General Comments:

I found this car in its owner's garage. It has been lightly used since new. It is great on the highway. Its being a 4-door hardtop allows the driver the see the roadway very well. The seats are very colorful, with an intricate, busy, golden design on the cloth. It uses 87 octane gasoline and gives good mileage with its Lean Burn Engine.

Review Date: 8th February, 2004

1977 Chrysler Newport V8 from North America

Summary:

Land Yacht!

Heavy wear on the driver's seat.

The drive shaft broke at the joint 2 weeks ago.

Starter died 3 days ago.

General Comments:

Though I've mentioned a few of the recent problems, this car rides like a dream.

Except for the driver's seat, the rest of the interior is mint.

Like another contributor to this site, I have an 8-track as well-though it does not work.

Could sleep in the backseat, and I'm 6'2"!

Body work in progress.

Review Date: 25th January, 2004

1977 Chrysler Newport from North America

Summary:

This will be the best car you will own

Well the only really bad problem I have has with my Newport. Was the fact that the drivers butt cushion was ripped. But I had it fixed by Grandpa.

General Comments:

Well I fell in love with this car once my grandpa bought it for me. The bad point was that I had to sand and repaint it to be a looker.

The inside is huge, I could camp out in it. It has a bunch of leg room. That's what I was looking for in a car.

Review Date: 27th November, 2002

1977 Chrysler Newport 400 from North America

Summary:

Chrysler should be proud

General Comments:

What a great car. Only paid $400 for it, and it had been in storage 19 years. It has a working 8-track, so now I'm a 8-track fanatic on e-bay.

It's a HUGE car, almost 22ft long. When I registered it, the lady looked up the GVW and it weighed in at 6,203 - 3 TONS of car.... unless it's a semi in a accident... I WIN!

I have been offered $2,000 for this amazing CLEAN car and said no... this car is a beauty.

Review Date: 16th September, 2000

14th Jun 2001, 01:00

I recently purchased a '74 Chyrsler Newport for only $350 and after putting only $200 into it for repairs/restoration I have been offered $3000-$5000 dollars for it.

It is huge, I feel like I am driving around in a boat and it is one of my fav luxury cars of the 70's.

29th Mar 2012, 15:59

Actually, the '77 Newport sedans weighed in at around 4300-4400 lbs, depending on body style, still heavyweights by today's standards. The 6203 lbs the reviewer (mistakenly) thinks his car weighs (or, most likely by now, weighed) likely referred to the GVWR, which is the weight of the car plus the weight of six butts in the seats, and with the trunk carrying its maximum capacity weight in cargo.