2004 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 2.7 from North America

Summary:

Nice handling, styling and driving position

68.000 km. Climate control blower motor stopped working on the low speed setting. Bought the part and installed it myself for $36.

111.000 km. New rubber bushing and tie-rod on front suspension.

142.000 km. Transmission starts hard downshift into second gear. My fault. I did not change transmission fluid since my warranty expired (60.000 km.). New transmission fluid solved the problem.

Things like wear & tear, such as brake calipers, wiper blades, etc.

General Comments:

I've been seduced by nice styling and 200HP V6 of Sebring. I did a test drive, and enjoyed the handling and performance.

The seats are comfortable and provide excellent lateral support. One of the best I've ever had. Side curtain air bags are built in.

My still looks like a brand new car. No corrosion, no dents in spite of the Calgary climate and Canadian winters.

I was hoping that Chrysler will come up with better looking Sebring model, and I was looking to buy it. Unfortunately, it did not happen. The new one is out of style completely, so I kept my old one.

Review Date: 14th August, 2010

2004 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 2.7L V6 from North America

Summary:

Worst car I've ever owned!!!

What's went wrong? Almost easier to say what hasn't gone wrong.

Engine seized at 113KM, so it sits in the yard undrivable as we speak. $2000 for a used engine, and that doesn't even get it installed! This is thanks to a known issue with the Chrysler 2.7L V6 and sludge buildup in the oil.

Other than that in the past 6 months alone I've done:

- Alternator $500

- Water pump $500+

- Thermostat (twice)

- Tie rods

- Struts

- Belts (all of them, one twice and it still chirps)

- Wheel bearing

- None of the windows or sunroof work thanks to the massive amount of electric problems.

- The fan doesn't work at all (fun on cold mornings)

Also of note the tires always are going flat because of the rims.

Overall very unsatisfied with the car, and will never buy another Chrysler again!

General Comments:

The 2004 Chrysler Sebring started off as a wonderful car, but at only 113KM (which is like under 80K miles) the engine seized thanks to Chrysler's horrible 2.7L V6 and the sludge build up in the oil.

If you see one of these cars, it may trick you at first because it looks quite nice on the outside, but I warn you, turn around and run! Run as fast as you can, because these cars are money pits! Check Google for 2004+Sebring+Sludge and you'll see what I mean, even folks who treated them with oil changes every 3 thousand miles have seized engines.

On a plus, the car is styled nicely and is quite roomy, and has good get up and go (however it's hard to take advantage of these things when at only 6 years old, the engine goes, and for the past year before that it was nothing but repair after after repair).

All I can see is stay away, and I've heard that Intrepids are as bad. The 2004 Chrysler Sebring is the newest car I've ever owned, and most expensive, but it's also cost me far more than any other car, and been far less reliable. My old 92' Buick was better than this, and in fact thanks to still owing on this junk Sebring, it appears I'll need to go back about a 92' once again!

Review Date: 23rd March, 2010

2004 Chrysler Sebring Sedan Touring 2.7 V6 from North America

Summary:

Great car, bad transmission

28,000 miles- The engine would stall at stoplights after interstate travel. It would restart right away and run normal after that. Dealer "reset computer".

30,000 miles- Tranmission shifted very hard when turning corners or going down a hill. The dealer could not replicate problem and "reset computer"

35,000 miles- Transmission still shifting hard. Brought to different dealer and they found a leaky transmission cooler line and replaced. Shifted good.

36,000-present- Started shifting hard again. I guess we'll live with it. Kind of embarrassing when you have passengers.

General Comments:

This car has been good to us only needing a couple times in the shop. However, the transmission problem makes me wonder whether the car will give it's final "clunk" during a road trip and leave us stranded on the road.

The dealerships have been fair to poor in their service. They had the car from 8am to 1pm on a Saturday (that we made an appointment for) and said they didn't have time to get to it and needed it till the next Monday. It was a little upsetting when they didn't really fix anything.

The car is great in general. We've gotten 26-27 mpg on several road trips. The factory stereo is more than adequate. The seats are very comfortable. Interior room is amazing. The engine has plenty of power, I just wish the trasnmission could keep up!

Review Date: 14th April, 2006

6th May 2012, 21:27

Transmission flush and filter, and it will shift fine.