2004 Citroen C5 Reviews - Page 2 of 3

2004 Citroen C5 X 2.0 HDI turbo diesel from Croatia

Engine and transmission 2.0 HDI turbo diesel Manual
Distance when acquired82000 kilometres
Previous carVolkswagen Caddy

Summary:

Comfortable ride

Loose vacuum pipe, resulting in the turbo not activating.

6-7 light bulbs over a period of one and a half years.

Front passenger window sometimes won't come up using one-touch mode, it goes to the halfway point and then re-opens, you have to close it 1 cm by 1 cm.

Turbo sometimes fails to kick in, not a good thing while overtaking up-hills. I have to wait until 3000rpm for the turbo to start working.

Squeaking brakes.

Poor servo assistance while driving at low speeds.

General Comments:

Big, spacious on the inside, comfortable seats.

Big boot, practical because of its 5-door design.

Very quiet and smooth ride, great suspension although not good in curves, but great in a straight line.

Love all the sensors (rain sensor, light sensor) and toys.

Review Date: 8th September, 2009

9th Sep 2009, 05:09

It is Citroen C first generation, that came out in 2001.

2004 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0 from South Africa

Model year2004
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

Biggest piece of expensive junk I ever owned

Day one - Ignition coil failed.

Water bottle sensor stopped working.

Reverse sensor stopped working.

Fan control module failed.

Ignition coil 2 failed.

Tire sensors faulty; they keep on reporting "wheels deflating" while it's in perfect order.

General Comments:

I expected more from an Exclusive model; the electronic systems are of poor quality and design. Running cost is extremely high and parts are priced ridiculously high.

Internal build quality is also very poor.

Review Date: 14th October, 2007

23rd Oct 2007, 09:00

It never seems to stop, today (23 Oct 07) the LCD back light has failed...

17th Feb 2008, 00:11

Au Contrair Mon-amie! I love my French car. It's been fantastic. You must of got a Lemon. Funny thing is "Citroen" means "Lemon" in translation.

2nd Oct 2009, 06:02

Pity you got a dud. I have the 2 litre 2004 Automatic and with its 5 Year Maintenance Plan it cost me zilch. The last service cost (paid by Citroen) was RI,800! I have done 80,000 kms. and it is now out of warranty.

Recently I had a problem with the gearbox and Citroen's Head Office assisted me in repairing it at nominal cost.

A Fuel Electronic Sensor for my wife's Opel Corsa 1400 cost me almost as much!

Get the 2 Litre and you will see the difference.

The reason for the expensive parts in South Africa is the crazy mark-up that Imperial (the Importers) charge on Citroen parts!

2004 Citroen C5 VTR 2.2 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Model year2004
Engine and transmission 2.2 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carPeugeot 307

1 year and 4 months in, my car has developed symptomatic stupidity. The fuel filter blocked message will not go away, anti pollution fault appears at higher speeds and decides to go into limp home mode. 3 dealers and still no fix. What do I have to do to get Citroen dealers to fix this irritation.

However, when it is running right it is brilliant. The most comfortable motorway cruiser I have ever owned. 120mph no problem, 6 gears low revs, even at this speed.

I would really like to recommend this car, because it is so damn comfortable and competent. This has to be the biggest front wheel drive car I have driven that laughs at corners. The hydra-active 3 suspension really does work and ensures that the car beefs around even the silliest of corners at speeds that are suicidal in most large cars. My Ford Puma even struggles with some of the corners at the speed I can take them in the C5, but please Citroen, I beg you, sort out these stupid faults. Why did my Peugeots never go into I hate you mode, yet my Citroen does. Is it just me or could the citroen do with a Peugeot engine management system. It just seems like the reject peugeot systems are installed on Citroens.

Me, buy another Citroen, probably never again, but it seems such a shame because it could really be a great car.

Review Date: 29th July, 2005

18th Oct 2005, 01:34

Hi there.

Just to let you know, I've had Peugeots that are just as bad. I won't be buying French car again, after experiences with Peugeots, Citroens and Renaults.

12th Nov 2005, 01:16

Well, believe it or not, I'm now on my 3rd Citroen (started from ZX 1.9D that I still have, Xsara 1.4 and now the New C5 1.6HDi), I always had Peugeots (206, 306) and Clio as company cars and believe it or not I never had any serious mechanical or electronic problems!!! Maybe as an engineer, I find acceptable that any car from any manufacturer is fairly normal to face problems from time to time. You have to bear in mind that the cars more complicated than they used to be 5, 10, 20, 30 years ago!!!

19th Dec 2008, 13:11

I could not agree more. I am certain my C5 is willful. Just when I settle back from a fault and think all is well, the darn thing drops something else on me.

Current niggle is that the directional headlights no longer turn and there is no information about which fuse it may be. Anyone know please? farleystephen@btopenworld.com.