2004 Citroen C5 Reviews - Page 3 of 3

2004 Citroen C5 Berline with Business Pack 2.0 HDi from Finland

Model year2004
Engine and transmission 2.0 HDi Automatic
Previous carFord Mondeo

Summary:

Comfortable ride

During last winter the monitor on the middle of the dashboard acted up twice. On the first time it started blinking and showed text "Economy mode active". When I stopped the car and restarted the engine it was OK. On the second time light on the monitor didn't switch off when I switched off the engine and removed the key. When I restarted the engine and switched it off again the monitor switched off too.

I have a Pack Automatique in my car. The passenger side mirror moves to help reverse the car. During last winter it didn't always move back to driving position.

Power windows didn't always work properly during winter time. When I tried to close them they tend to stop and get a bit down, like there would have been something on their way.

AL4 automatic transmission is not as soft as in some American cars.

C5 is a nice car, but doesn't like winter.

General Comments:

C5 is a nice car. It's very comfortable and spacious. It has luxurious interior. It's suspension works like a dream. I really enjoy traveling with it. Average fuel consumption is 6,5 liters / 100 km. I only hope it would have better automatic transmission with more than 4 gears and it would tolerate Finnish winter better.

Review Date: 1st May, 2005

2004 Citroen C5 VTR 2.2 VTR from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.2 VTR Manual
Previous carPeugeot 307

Summary:

Cheap and loaded

Annoying Fuel filter blocked fault.

Anti-Pollution fault x2 at 7300 miles and 11,000 miles. Both of which were fixed by the dealer no problem.

Heavy tire wear, replacement at 12,900 miles of both the two front tyres, cost £171.00 EACH.

General Comments:

Great car for the comfort and individuality although its now been replaced by the better looking C5 lately. Performance is excellent on this model, 2.2 VTR. Poor fuel economy (Max 36 mpg, urban and extra urban combined), heavy on tyre wear to front rubber. Annoying computer fault that just would not go away. Dealer unbelievably helpful. They fixed the problem with the electronics and were efficient.

Review Date: 28th January, 2005

28th Feb 2006, 12:11

I have owned a citroen c5 HDI 2.0 for 14 months. The car is superb economical and comfortable. It does however have one annoying fault. The computer constantly beeps once and the service light flashes about once every 5-10 minutes. Despite several rather expensive trips to a dealer and numerous new parts the fault remains. Am I alone with this very annoying fault.

26th Jul 2009, 01:47

We have a C5, and have a constant problem with the boot door opening. It was finally traced by the main dealer to a faulty computer.

2004 Citroen C5 VTR HDI 2.2 from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission HDI 2.2 Manual
Previous carPeugeot 307

Summary:

A practical, quick, comfortable mile muncher, more individual than a rep-mobile mondeo

Nothing, as yet.

General Comments:

I have recently taken delivery of a C5 2.2 HDI VTR.

Good points.

First impressions, extremely comfortable, notably quick and refined and an all round great drive.

Masses of torque at low revs.

6 gears. If I could remember that at 95 MPH on the M6 that would be great.

Fantastic aircon, adjustable for passengers too.

Lots of gadgets.

Big windmill (Turbo). It generates a reassuring whoosh on acceleration, akin to my old Escort R.S. Turbo of years gone by.

A boot that swallowed all the rubbish from my 307 and more. In fact, I think I can fit the entire contents of my house in there.

Bad points.

A lots of cheap looking,gleaming plastic in the interior.

It could have had sportier seats, it's a VTR for goodness sake.

Alloy wheels are too small, 16". Should be at least 18" with skinny tyres.

It is heavy on fuel for a diesel, 30mpg at present. (The trip computer helps to find this out. Also, this was tested after 6th gear had been selected)

May have too many gadgets. You need a degree in aerospace engineering to operate them all.

Summary.

I was a little worried about buying a Citroen. I had always classed it as Peugeot's poor relation. However, after owning 5 Peugeots in the last 6 years, 2 306's, 2 206's and a 307, I can confirm that at present, it seems that this citroen is certainly not a poor relation. The discount I got on this car was bordering on the ridiculous. I could have bought a 307 2.0 HDI Style for this price, with virtually no gadgets. Hence my decision to try Citroen.

I hope that this latest buy will serve me for longer than the previous cars, I'm currently looking at 3-4 years.

In short - Buy one, it's cheap as chips.

Review Date: 30th April, 2004

22nd Aug 2005, 02:01

A work colleague bought one of these new last year and although it is well equipped and comfortable, and all the other things you mention, the electrical system on his car has been a total nightmare. At just over a year old, the car is on its third main ECU, and stupidly overcomplicated COM2000 module / multiplex wiring setup for the column stalks is so temperamental, he has given up hope of it ever working properly. There have also been faults with the airbag wiring, the central locking, and the electric mirrors.

The build quality of the car is also appalling, and the car simply cannot cope with hard use. After 40,000 miles in 12 months, there are various chirps and squeaks from the interior, odd clonks from the suspension, and the whole car feels like it's done 100,000 miles.

The cars are cheap, but you seem to only get what you pay for. I don't need individuality that badly - my third successive Mondeo was ordered last week. They just work. Shame as I really liked his C5 when it was new.

6th Dec 2005, 08:25

You stated about it having 16" alloys, these cars are for their ride quality not sporty image.

Having over sized wheels and tyres would seriously affect the comfortable driving that the hydraulics provide.

You don't buy a C5 for its boy-racer factor, its in the executive car class!