2001 Citroen Picasso Reviews - Page 3 of 3

2001 Citroen Picasso SX 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Previous carProton Proton

Summary:

A great value for money vehicle

None.

General Comments:

Having never wanted to purchase a Citroen before because of the past history, I must say I am extremely pleased with the vehicle. The drive is superb and the level of equipment is exceptional. We were very impressed with the thought that had gone into making this a very good family car. We have two young children and it is well suited for this with all the extra storage space available. I particularly like the floor storage in the rear.

Review Date: 11th January, 2002

2001 Citroen Picasso SX 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.8 petrol Manual
Previous carRover - Austin Coupe

Summary:

Practicality with personality - A brilliant family transport

Nothing, but it is brand new.

General Comments:

Our first multi-purpose vehicle after years of saloons and coupes, and it's a revelation! I don't know how we coped with our growing family before the Picasso with so little space, comfort and practicality.

The car is a Tardis, feeling roomy & airy inside, while still fitting in a Escort estate sized parking spot.

It is no sports car, but it handles cleanly, and doesn't have the roll and squidgy ride of some competitors.

The 1.8 engine is barely run in, but is already proving to be a muscular and economical powerplant (33mpg average while running in).

Specification levels are so high they shame the E46 BMW 318 SEi I recently owned for twice the price, as does the ride and comfort. In fact this car is more comfortable and roomy than many executive cars.

Materials quality seems more than adequate, and I suspect the interior will last well, even with my kids attacking it!

It cruises in near silence with only some wind noise betraying the MPV shape.

I also think its a 'real' Citroen, i.e. love it or hate it looks and features. I fall in the "love it" camp of course!

I can't imagine a better car at any price for a family of 4 or 5. Highly recommended!

Review Date: 9th September, 2001

2001 Citroen Picasso SX 1.8i from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.8i Manual
Previous carVauxhall Corsa

Summary:

The best drive I have ever had

Nothing at all.

General Comments:

I truly believe the Picasso is one of the best vehicles on the road. With all the extras it was well worth the £10,680 I paid for it. It is a Y registration, only 5 months old, and had 3000 miles on the clock. It drives like a dream.

The only criticism I have is when you have the driver's armrest down, it slightly obstructs access to the handbrake. And why the trolley in the boot??

Citroen should be proud of the Picasso, and once you own one it is very surprising just how many are on the road. I for one feel that when meeting a Picasso owner travelling in the opposite direction, flash and let on, we are the lucky ones!!!

Review Date: 6th September, 2001

9th Sep 2001, 04:16

Agreed!

It still feels special to drive even with so many on the road!

3rd Nov 2003, 05:03

Couldn't agree with you more after 13 months of driving it still feel as comfortable safe reliable as more expensive cars I have owned. Truly brilliant vehicle.

5th Sep 2007, 13:07

Unbelievable car. Unbelievable in the sense that I find it hard to believe how awful it is.

2001 Citroen Picasso SX 2.0 HDi turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.0 HDi turbo diesel Manual
Previous carFord Galaxy 2000

Summary:

A versatile, comfortable and economical car with many interesting and innovative features

I have been most impressed with the quality of this car. I have never bought a Citroen before and was wary of buying one because of the marque's reputation for patchy reliability and expensive spares, servicing and poor dealer service.

However, you have to speak as you find and so far the performance of the car and my local dealership has been impeccable.

General Comments:

Unless you definately need 7 seats, don't bother with the Shalaxy or Espace type vehicles. Both the Vauxhall Zafira and Renault Scenic are considerably narrower than the Picasso inside. The three seats in the rear of the Citroen are wider and more comfortable than a Galaxy's and the quality of the crushed velour trim shames that in the far more expensive Ford. The rear seats also recline and the centre one has a proper three point seatbelt harness, unlike the Galaxy which only has a lap belt. In fact the interior of the Picasso looks really quite plush and inviting. The front seats are very supportive and have arm rests.

My wife and I both like the digital dash and the onboard computer offers a whole host of features such as outside temperature, average and instant mpg, range left before the next fill up and so on.

The Picasso feels really well screwed together and there are no rattles, creaks or other noises. The paint finish is excellent, although the interior plastics look a little cheap.

There is a six speaker CD player and the sound quality is excellent.

Ride quality is also better than a Galaxy, particularly the absorbtion of ridges and small lumps and bumps in the poor quality roads that we have in the UK. The car handles quite tidily with little roll in fast cornering. Standard brakes feature ABS with EBD. Brake pedal feel is progressive and the car stops very quickly if called on.

The Picasso is much easier to drive than 7 seater MPV's and you can add as an extra the reversing sensors, which are an absolute must and standard on the Galaxy Zetec for instance.

The diesel engine is smooth and flexible with little noise penetrating the cabin from this unit. Economy is first rate and averages around 47 mpg.

We obtained a good deal from our local Citroen dealer who put this 2.0 HDi SX with metallic paint and electric full size sunroof on the road for £13,500.

Citroens now have a full 3 year mechanical and a 12 year anti-corrosion warranty.

Although it doesn't offer a 7 seat option, a lot of thought has gone into the Picasso and it is an interesting alternative to the usual estate offerings of mainstream saloons.

Review Date: 3rd February, 2001

20th Apr 2001, 15:19

Have just bought a brand new 1.8 SX from a car supermarket in Wakefield for £10495 including metallic paint. A bargain I would suggest!

25th Apr 2001, 14:09

Re: the previous comment. I bought a 1.8sx from the same location (I think) one week later for £11,000. Price rise or poorer negotiation skills on my part??