1997 Citroen Xantia Reviews - Page 7 of 8

Year of manufacture1997
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 1.9 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

A second hand bargain

Too early to say.

However the drivers side door has been welded at some stage apparently a common fault.

There's no service history, but the numbers on the clock are all in line.

There's some kind of oil leak from the sump / gearbox - could be the drive shaft oil seals or could be hydraulic fluid leaking from the tank.

Not as economical as expected, only does 30 mpg around town & 35 on a run.

Rear suspension sticks when inflated then returned back to normal height, cured when totally deflated & returned back to normal height.

Seems to burn oil, perhaps due to lack of servicing.

Goes like a rocket when driven hard, the turbo only kicks in at approx 2700 RPM.

The car's comfortable enough, however avoid the A/C version, the air-con works fine, however this drinks the diesel. I have not used this yet, but have heard this from 1 or 2 people.

General Comments:

Overall not a bad car for its size & weight.

I plan to tow a caravan, the tow weight is approx 1250-1300 Kgs, 50 - 100 Kgs over the limit.

3 diagonal lap belts is a very clever design.

Parts are cheap, however the dealers are pricey. Suggest people use a Citroen specialist rather than expensive dealers for repairs on cars 4 years +. It cost me £60.00 for a belt change, that's using a genuine Citroen belt.

Providing that nothing serious occurs & that I can sort the fuel consumption problem, I intend to keeping the car for 2/3 years.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2001

26th Jul 2001, 02:36

I agree about the mpg. I expected around 40 in town but 30 is much nearer the mark which is similar to the 1600cc petrol driven Nissan I had previously which, incidentally, started first time everytime. I cannot say the same about my '96 Citroen LX TD when warm it is appalling and can take up to 4 minutes to start - will it - won't it, very embarrassing at the pumps!

7th Sep 2001, 06:19

Ref: fuel consumption, regularly use a injection cleaner. I was getting 36mpg before using some cleaner, now getting 45mpg.

S.T.P. is the best @ £5 approx. Injectors need cleaning or replacing @ 60.000 mile intervals.

Ref: poor starting, try new glow plugs and check that the relay unit is working properly.

25th Sep 2002, 04:00

Disagree that using the Aircon drinks fuel. I keep a log of my fuel consumption and reckon it is costs no more than 2 MPG.

30th Sep 2003, 13:43

I have a sx td 1996, overall very pleased with it, now done 170,000. only problems starting from cold, heater plugs seem fine as does general economy. so I think injector, s OK too.can't seem to solve the problem. any thoughts?.

1997 Citroen Xantia LX Estate 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2001
Previous carFiat Tipo

Summary:

Great car, shame about the leaks

Water leaking into the rear footwells and underneath the rear seats.

General Comments:

Loved this car from day one for its air-conditioning, comfort, performance, reliability, good looks and boot space.

But now it may be a divorce: for the past 3-4 months I have noticed water seeping into the foot wells and beneath the rear seats.

Citroen said rear door (boot) membrane needed replacing - have charged me £130 for the privilege despite fact that this must be a design fault. Offered to clean and dry the carpets for another £240! I'm still not sure the fault is fixed. This could be the end of my affair with Citroen!

Review Date: 20th April, 2001

20th Jun 2001, 14:36

I want to know where is your car made?

27th Jan 2002, 06:30

Had the same problem with leaks in my 1997 SX auto estate.

However, a membrane was replaced 12 months ago. Now problem free. You can dry it out with lots of newspapers in a few weeks. 144,000 miles and still going strong. A C5 looks like my next car.