1998 Citroen Xantia Reviews - Page 3 of 6

1998 Citroen Xantia Exclusive 2.1 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.1 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

Brilliant all rounder and good value for money

Lots of clicking from the regulator so I replaced the accumulator sphere as a precautionary measure, all is fine now. Maybe a bit of a harsh ride which will require new suspension spheres all round £20 a shot is very cheap.

Heated seats are questionable, but doesn't bother me much as summer is coming.

General Comments:

I bought it for £1400 on ebay, and it's such a nice car, it's a good car with what I feel to be a susperb suspension system, I doubt I will go back to a car with springs for a long time.

It's performance isn't too bad, brisk, but not fast, how fast do you want to go, it's at it's best on a motorway, quiet, quick and the turbo is on tap at 70mph.

Handling is something to behold for a family car, good grip, and very confident!

It's a sensible car, comfortable, spacious, quick and above all economical, I get exactly what the manufacturer says 40mpg, that can stretch to 50mpg on a long run.

The seats are awesome, comfortable and adjust in all possible ways. The cd/radio is not too bad at all for standard item.

Review Date: 18th April, 2006

1998 Citroen Xantia SX estate 2.0 HDI from UK and Ireland

Model year1999
Engine and transmission 2.0 HDI Manual
Previous carAudi 80

Summary:

Supremely spacious economical load carrier

Exhaust needed welding after 2 weeks.

Rear window lifter failed.

Front fog lights failed.

Clutch release bearing noisy.

General Comments:

Fantastic engine pulls like a train and is economical and quiet, rear passenger leg room superb. The rear seats are a snip to take out and lets you load items 6 feet long easily.

Steering does not reward keen drivers and suffers from torque steer on full lock, holds road well though due to 205 65 15 tyres.

Would have liked a sunroof even with A/C as cabin is gloomy with dark grey trim, other revues comment on driver seat comfortableness and I agree, on mine I had to weld spacers on front pegs to angle seat back, this proved better for me, but not altogether satisfactory, seat does go up and down as does steering wheel, but, hey ho that don't help none.

French electrics are very poor, cable ends to connecting blocks use system like 'scotch blocks' which give rise to problems after a while, the french have an aversion to solder I think!!

All in all a great workhorse, but I just can't take to it like my previous estate (Audi 80 avant), the styling is a little bit over the top, my wife says she's never known me have a car I don't polish every week, well I have now.

Review Date: 19th October, 2005

1998 Citroen Xantia activa 2ltr turbo 8v from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2ltr turbo 8v Manual
Most recent distance20000 miles
Previous carSAAB 900

Summary:

A wolf in sheep's clothing

Door lock

Exhaust (middle box)

General Comments:

Good compromise between practical family comfort & performance.

Pleasing torque & acceleration for a larger car:- track tested: 0-60 in 9.45 seconds.

Brilliant handling, but payback is harsh ride & a feeling of driver remoteness (due to loads of electronic management systems etc).

Fragile interior & electrics.

Review Date: 8th September, 2004

6th Feb 2005, 13:15

I've had one for near on 4 years. Yep, door locks went - My Citroen dealership couldn't fix it. Rear end suspension arm bush knackered too, but I've panned countless BMWs, Audis, Scubby Doos etc.. I love tihs car because it is a wolf in sheeps clothing - but beware - go beyond its limits (which I've done a few times) and it will snap and send you spinning.

1998 Citroen Xantia activa turbo from Australia and New Zealand

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission turbo Manual
Previous carCitroen DS

Summary:

Fantastic to drive, needs support

Rear suspension never worked from new.

Loses rear pressure as soon as car is turned off.

Rattles.

Radiator cap (took 3 goes to find the fault)

Recirculation switch.

General Comments:

Great car to drive, completely spoiled by the inability of the Australian importer to rectify the rear suspension faults... five years of trying.

Love Citroens, but without the support of the importer, how can I recommend purchase here?

Compared, say, to the service offered by Honda some years ago...

Review Date: 2nd December, 2003

3rd Jul 2011, 04:55

Having owned every model except the SM and XM, from Traction Avant to and including C5 over 50 years, I am amazed at the dissatisfaction many owners experience with their cars.

I have always stayed with Citroen, because although I have always done high mileage, my maintenance costs have been low.

Only once have I had to wait for a part, and that was for a windscreen for my Xantia. The CX though was a high cost in tyres and suspension.

Some DS, I have done 3 to 400000 miles before major cost.

My 1998 Xantia 2 litre 16v has done 195000 km, and still the same exhaust & battery. Lucky we do not have any salt on our roads in New Zealand.

It's essential to have servicing up to date and good service technicians.

I purchased a C5 diesel, but sold it after 1000km, and prefer my Xantia. Highly recommended.