2000 Citroen Xantia Estate SX 2.0 HDi 110bhp from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great car, but not as good as my DS23

Nothing has gone wrong with the car. The interior is standing up well now I am getting into the higher mileages. All I have had to do is a basic service which was easy too.

General Comments:

I have done over 14000 miles in 7 months and it has been hassle free very comfortable and quick. The diesel engine is quiet and responsive making overtaking easy and safe even with a full load and bikes on the back. It returns around 50mpg and I have a heavy right foot. Handling is good and the brakes are excellent. The suspension is amazing giving a magic carpet ride and is much less roley poley than the BX I had before.

If you look hard enough you can pick good lowish mileages ones up for less than £3500 for a 2000 or 2001 model, you can barely get a base model Fiesta or Corsa for that money.

The car is hugely underrated and as such an absolute bargain with bags of style.

Review Date: 28th June, 2005

2000 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16V from Germany

Summary:

Nothing drives you better than Citroen, direction repair station

Left front blink light felt out, rear door does not close below 0C, suspension was initially defect, automatic transmission problems (serious - low oil pressure - almost fatal error, probably I will have to replace the gear), engine needs 1l oil extra every 10 000 km, seats are getting loose on rails, wink on accelerate/braking, side airbags controller had to be replaced due to internal error, etc. etc.

General Comments:

This car is a total crap in manufacturing, the only advantages are the comfortable suspension and low fuel consumption (8l/100km). Very noisy over 100km/h. If I have to pay a new gear (after 70. thous. km) this car will be more expensive than a Mercedes C class. Beware!, Avoid!

Review Date: 14th January, 2004

2000 Citroen Xantia V6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A brilliant car ruined by poor spares availability

Shortly after I bought the car I noticed that the coolant level was falling slowly. Several pipes and the expansion chamber were replaced and all was well for several months, when a fast leak appeared in the hose between the engine and automatic gearbox.

The car has now been off the road for 6 weeks, and will remain so indefinitely because this part is unavailable, and Citroen cannot say if it will ever become available.

General Comments:

The car is superb when it runs, with brilliant performance, handling and comfort.

Fuel consumption is on the high side at around 20mpg, but the brilliant ride makes this worthwhile.

I intend to sell the car if I ever get it going, however, because the atrocious back up from Citroen means that any future fault could lead to a long period off the road.

Review Date: 3rd January, 2003

7th Jan 2003, 16:53

Can nobody produce/improvise a one-off coolant hose for you?

Surely there are manufacturers in Britain who can instantly produce hoses for special purposes?

31st Mar 2003, 06:24

My V6 Xantia has covered 113,000 miles (bought at 9,000 miles). I have had very good, next day spares support for all parts including V6 engine parts (temperature transmitter, thermostat, timing belt, various small "O" rings and gaskets, etc.).

Engine has been superb, but have had a number of other problems (not V6 related) including spheres, door lock failure, three ABS sensors (!), radiator and cabin temperature sensor).

27th Oct 2004, 14:09

Surely the part can be sourced from a scrapyard at very low cost?

24th Dec 2004, 16:57

I wrote the original review, and eventually got the hose.

I still love the car when it goes, but it's off the road again (6 weeks so far this time) awaiting an unavailable thermostat.

5th Mar 2005, 00:52

I suggest that you change your Garage - a Thermostat for these cars is readily available at Halfords or any good parts supplier - 6 weeks - you must be mad!!