1985 Daihatsu Charade Reviews

1985 Daihatsu Charade 1.0 from Finland

Previous carNissan Micra

Summary:

This car is nothing short of superb

Had to change distributor contact breakers.

Nothing other than this went wrong, however, I changed oil, filters, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires etc as a routine service procedure.

Rear part of exhaust had a little hole; I fixed it with exhaust gum.

General Comments:

This car is wonderful; utter reliability, comfort, speed and economy.

I bought this car for 250 euros. And the previous owner was so careless, he never serviced the car for all the three years he owned it. When I drove it home for the first time, I had in mind that may be this car will drive a couple of months before she dies, I did not have much confidence since it was my first Daihatsu ever.

But I was wrong, now it's been almost two years, but this little car is still rolling, and I have a lot of confidence in this car, I can even take on long routes.

I service it at home, and nothing really went wrong with this car.

It's a good comfortable car for its size, however, the body work could have been better, the paint has faded off and there is cheap plastic coating at the door interiors. The engine is a little noisy, even though I have done valve clearance, but still.

Overall, I simply love this car. It's more comfortable and good looking than my previous K10 Micra, and equally reliable. However, the Micra has the edge of dealerships available throughout and cheap parts.

I'd definitely recommend this car, especially to students, the insurance is dirt cheap and all this car needs to run is petrol, that too is only 5 litres per 100kms.

Review Date: 12th January, 2010

1985 Daihatsu Charade 1.0 3 cylinder from Australia and New Zealand

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.0 3 cylinder Manual
Most recent distance120000 kilometres
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

A great little car cheap on gas

The only thing that went wrong with it mechanically was the fuel pump died. It cost me $500.00 NZ to repair.

The right front tyre disintegrated after I hit a possum at 100 kmh. It was like hitting a horse in a small car like that.

General Comments:

The Daihatsu was a willing performer on the flat; it would get up to 100kmh without too much bother.

However it was a different story on the hills; the little 3 cylinder motor definitely worked hard. Most hills had to be taken at a run with the foot hard on the accelerator and the car running at 120kmh+, and you hoped you didn't run out of steam before you got to the top.

Apart from that it was really reliable, and rode quite well for the size of the car.

Review Date: 16th June, 2008

1985 Daihatsu Charade 998cc diesel from Mauritius

Engine and transmission 998cc diesel Manual
Most recent distance192000 miles
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

Solid economical and reliable

Nothing has gone wrong.. but because of its age I am changing the clutch disc - full servicing.

It has a fair amount of rust on it so that has to be sorted..

General Comments:

I needed an economy mobile because the cost of running a 325i was getting to me.. purchased this car for peanuts and have clocked up 1200 miles in 2 months!! Astonishing. this little car goes and goes and goes.

The lack of power is a let down - but I have fallen in love with it so instead of trying to kill it, its going in for a full body and paint job.

Review Date: 13th February, 2008