1986 Daihatsu Charade Reviews

1986 Daihatsu Charade cs 993cc from Barbados

Model year1986
Engine and transmission 993cc Manual
Previous carMitsubishi Lancer

Summary:

I wouldn't trade it for another brand.

The first thing I noticed with the car is that at such an age the back of the seats have started to twist in fact one actually broke already.

My next issue is that the engine recently started having a noise similar to that of a hissing noise, but apart form that its performance hasn't been hindered.

Any other problems with the car isn't because of poor workmanship, but rather where I live; because I live near the coast what persons in the Caribbean would call sea-salt has caused the body of the car to rust very badly.

General Comments:

The car has a very good pick up in terms of acceleration when tuned properly and although the seats are bad I still feel at home within the vehicle because of its cabin capacity.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2006

1986 Daihatsu Charade Standard 1.0 Standard petrol from Pakistan

First year of ownership1990
Engine and transmission 1.0 Standard petrol Manual
Most recent distance2035000 kilometres

Summary:

Mean Machine

The engine required overhauling after about 1000000 Kilometers.

General Comments:

The Daihatsu Charade is one of the best and fastest 1000cc cars I've ever driven! In the huge amount of time I've owned it, if raced with Suzuki Swifts (1.0), Cultus (1.0) and even Corollas (1.3) and Civics(1.5).. and won!.. That too on a standard engine.

I have already opened up the exhaust and installed an air-intake.

I'm planning to soup it up and get this baby Turbocharged.. in addition to a full body-kit and 13" 195s.. and then see what it does to the rest of them on the road..

Get ready for the ultimate charade.. you track racers in Karachi!!

Review Date: 13th September, 2003

14th Sep 2003, 15:49

Hi! I'm also from Pakistan.

I read your review about this car and I find it very funny.

"Mean Machine"?! a small car equipped with a little 1.0 engine??? You must be joking!

The 1986 Daihatsu Charade 1.0 Standard, beyond to be my first car, that I bought in 1995-1998 it's one of the worst and slowest cars I ever driven.

I can say this because I have owned another Japanese car with 1.0 engine: 1990 Suzuki Swift 1.0 during 1998-2001

Actually, I drive a powerful, economic and smooth 1993 Daewoo Racer 1.5, that I bought in 2001 and I want to stay with it for one more year, it's the fastest and best car I ever driven... so far, but one day who knows what will be my best car, I hope that I will drive a BMW 3-Series.

1986 Daihatsu Charade CX 1.0 from Australia and New Zealand

Most recent year of ownership2002

Summary:

A student car for someone on a low budget

The head gasket had cracked after 40000km.

There have been some leaks in the pipe that carries the oil which led to my car blowing smoke from the engine.

General Comments:

This car is definetly for someone, preferably female who wants to get from A to B.

It is very economical. In fact a whole tank lasts 400km which costs only $25 to fill up.

However the downfall is that it is embarrassing to take friends on adventures as the lack of power make the charade difficult to drive around the town.

Review Date: 26th December, 2002

1986 Daihatsu Charade G11 cx 993cc 3 cylinder from Australia and New Zealand

First year of ownership1986
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 993cc 3 cylinder Manual
Most recent distance200000 kilometres

Summary:

A reliable, economical, gem

Two clutches.

One radiator core.

General Comments:

I have had a 'Love, Hate' relationship with this car.

I 'Love' the incredible reliability and economy and 'Hate' the fact that no matter how hard it is driven, no matter how I try to blow it up, it still keeps going.

I have had this car since new. I have never been able to bring myself to sell it. I have had other cars during this period, but have never had such a reliable, economical car.

The motor is pretty gutless and most definitely won't win a traffic light show down.

However, for the student or someone that wants fuss free 'A to B' transport, then this car is a gem.

Review Date: 27th August, 2002

14th May 2004, 03:40

I've just bought one that apparently had its head redone. It's a pocket rocket. Rev out to 5000 or above and this baby boogies. Maybe yours needs some work to bring back the "fun" factor.